Your Favorite Settings For CRUSHING High Gain

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hendog

Reaction score
I keep switching between Mark IV and Extreme Modes due to the great saturation of Mark IV but the balls of the Extreme.

What mode and what settings do you use and why?

ch3 cranked to 11!!! :evil:

Just kidding...i'm just curious too.
I don't do high gain at all these days but I always like to learn something new.

I've got a really nice high gain sound dialed in for my schecter with Blackouts right now (for using a passive pickup guitar, settings need to be altered) but right now:

Channel 3
Mark IV mode
Pentode
45 watts
Master: Cranked :twisted:
Gain: 1 o'clock
Channel volume: noon
Presence: noon
Treble: 1 o'clock
Mids: 11:30
Bass: 9:45
GEQ in a V-ish shape

I still prefer my mark 4 for all around high gain, but for what I'd call crushing... it's triode / extreme. Treble and presence enough to bloom and Max bass without turning flubby. Mids depend on the song. The faster the attack, less mids.

For crushing high gain, extreme is the way to go. 90 watts, plenty of output volume, gain around 1-2, master 11, treble 3, mids to taste, bass up to where it gets flubby.

Extreme can sound dry when you switch from Mark IV mode (i.e, Mark IV mode sounds more saturated). Lately I've been getting a better hang of extreme and how to make it sound saturated. First, you can turn the presence up higher on this than on Mark IV mode. Presence high on Mark IV makes it sound thin, but on extreme mode (at, say, 2) it adds sizzle and sounds more saturated. Secondly, play around with triode the variac switch. These tend to add some saturation and brownness to the sound, but at the expense of punchiness. So, find the optimal balance.

With the output at 11, using my combo and thiele cab, with these settings, I get a huge thump in the chest with each downstroke.

Back