Yet another problem; time to demand a new amp

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eudaimonia02912

Reaction score
Short version:
My GEQ sliders do not work. Only preset EQ works. This is the third major problem in 13 months.

As you may recall, this week got my V back after its second round of repairs. When I brought it home, I just put in my normal settings before even turning the amp on. Having not played it in many weeks and been using a Peavey Vypyr as a back up, it sounded pretty good at first. But I was listening and realized something wasn't quite right. I tried using the preset EQ, and found to my surprise I liked it much more. Then I realized what was going on--the graphic sliders are no longer working, and apparently have not been working since I got the amp back. I hadn't noticed in part because I had only played it at whisper volumes on the 10-watt setting. If I use the sliders, they have no effect on the sound at all.* They're dead. It's either preset EQ or nothing.

Great. I am going to call MB on Monday and ask for a replacement amp. This is unacceptable. $2200 for 3 major failures in just over one year on a babied amp.

*For example, I tried putting all five sliders all the way down, and then toggling the EQ on and off with the footswitch. No effect. If I use the preset EQ, it works fine. So it's not the footswitch, but something in the amp.

I had posted before that I was thinking of ditching the amp. The thing is, I don't see myself finding a better amp for me. I played a large range of amps and did plenty of research before settling on the V. I just don't want this particular V anymore.

It's even worse than I realized:

While the preset EQ works, it is only on full-blast. Regardless of where I set the knob, it sound as it I have it dimed. Also, I have the preset-slider switch on preset, the EQ cannot be turned off by the footswitch or by the on-off-FS switch.

I suppose it's possible this is the tech's fault, not Mesa's.

Back when I had a road king, the local tech here forgot to hook back up one of the wiring harnesses when he put the amp back together. I forgot exactly what the symptom was. The amp would do come on but I forgot exactly what it was that was not working properly.

I just said screw it and popped the guts open, saw what was disconnected and popped it back on and everything worked fine.

Not sure if that is your problem but would not be surprised.

A tech cannot leave anything unplugged... if someone is paying him... he should be doing his work right! one thing is a bad component, now.. leaving something unplugged??
Mine has gone to boogie again, the 2nd time... it is the same problem as before, this time it is taking more time than before.
Already called them and they said they were waiting for Boogie USA to say it this problem is happening to anymore amps and what could be the problem (which makes me think that all 'legal techs' outside of Boogie understand shi* about the amps, they just do basic work, a bit of solder here and there, change tubes...). Anyway, the amp sounds great, it is great, would buy another, but customer support is proving itself to be a bit on the weak side!!!
If you buy an amp like that they should be lend you an amp!!!! I decent amp to play now....
And they say its the ferrari of amps??
Ferrari lends you another Ferrari if yours has problems in the first 6 months....

In your case, which is worse than mine (i think, so far, who knows!!! my amp is 2 months old) i believe you should demand a new amp, in the box, unopened!!! Contact a lawyer... anything!!!! They should get you a new amp!

I'm going to call the tech tomorrow and ask if he thinks he caused this problem during the repair.

I bought a Blackstar HT-20 used this weekend. It's a great amp and can get a large range of nice tones with various boosts. If A) the EQ problem isn't the tech's fault and B) Mesa won't replace my amp, then after I get it repaired, I'll probably cut my losses, sell it at a discount, and stick with Blackstar.

I would have demanded an new amp in an unopened box after the second issue. Sometimes you just get a lemon ...

I was unable to get ahold of MB today. I'll try tomorrow.

Here's some fun news, though: I tried calling the tech, and it turns out he's on vacation until March 1. So, if MB isn't going to supply me a new amp, I'll need to drive an hour to the next nearest tech or wait 2 weeks (in order to deliver amp for repair and then wait another 3 weeks to get it back).

I predict I won't own a Mesa amp anymore as of April. But it all comes down to whether Mesa makes good.

UPDATE:

Talk to MB today. They don't believe in lemons and they're certainly not going to give me a new amp. However, they will pay shipping both ways to have the amp repaired at MB by their most senior tech, who will not just fix my problem but look through the rest of the amp to make sure it's okay. So, that's pretty good, I guess, and probably better than having it go back to the same tech. Still, I remain inclined to sell the amp when I get it back a month and a half from now and am disinclined to buy another MB product.

That is an Enormous tragedy.
Shitty service from Mesa, maybe they will make it right...
Mine is still in Mesa... for a week and a half... I'm in total despair!!!
My problem is... where will I buy and amp with the same sound abilities, tone at this price???

eudaimonia02912 said:
they will pay shipping both ways to have the amp repaired at MB by their most senior tech, who will not just fix my problem but look through the rest of the amp to make sure it's okay.

I would be happy with that if it were me, that is excellent service. It looks like MB is doing everything they can to make it right for you. Sometimes things just go wrong but if the company does everything in their power to make it better then that is all we can really ask. Glad it's getting sorted out for you.

Everything in their power is... if a problem persists, get the guy a new amp, disassemble the other one, check all components and what's good e put back into production into new amps!!!
Isn't it? at least it should be.
If mine comes back, after some weeks the problem comes again, they won't give me a new amp... it's the same story all over again!

Rkorn said:
Everything in their power is... if a problem persists, get the guy a new amp, disassemble the other one, check all components and what's good e put back into production into new amps!!!
Isn't it? at least it should be.
If mine comes back, after some weeks the problem comes again, they won't give me a new amp... it's the same story all over again!

Yea and the problem I see is this...

Lets say they fix it, you get it back and God forbid problems start days or weeks later. They want it back to fix it again. So they fix it and miss something that they replaced earlier but was slightly damaged by the new problem. They send it back and weeks later the same thing. Its just an ugly cycle and they just keep chasing their tails.

What should be done is get the amp out of circulation, give the customer a new one. And then go over the lemon with a fine tooth comb. It's called quality control, maybe they would discover an unknown, that is a potential problem in future amps that would save them money in the long run.

ixoye777 said:
eudaimonia02912 said:
they will pay shipping both ways to have the amp repaired at MB by their most senior tech, who will not just fix my problem but look through the rest of the amp to make sure it's okay.

I would be happy with that if it were me, that is excellent service. It looks like MB is doing everything they can to make it right for you. Sometimes things just go wrong but if the company does everything in their power to make it better then that is all we can really ask. Glad it's getting sorted out for you.

They're trying to fix the problem. However, it will mean that for the first 14 months of owning the amp, it will have been out of my hands being repaired for 3-4 months total, depending on how quickly they turn the amp around.

I got a story for you... this guy that I know from one of the "alpha bands" convinced me that Randall's new MTS amps were all the rage for tone with their modules. This guy works for a music gear distributor and basically I paid a price that was too unkind to be through a pal. The amp just had no balls compared to the Roadking... I have done everything I could to try to give it a chance and then I found myself advertising on CL, Ebay, here and Randall MB just to sell the head (Randall RM100).

Then it broke down in early december... volume just dissapeared. I still have 2 years on the warranty but needed my pal to come up with a reciept so I could get the warranty. Anyhow I take my reciept to this place called Midwest Audio. Dec 6th early in the morning I took it in and signed all the papers.. FFwd to feb 11th. NOTHING WAS DONE to fix the Randall. Shop blamed it on Randall and my pal told me he sent the schematics 3x.

So thankfully Goodtime Music is a Randall dealer for a bit longer and they took the warranty repair and the amp just shipped to their shop today. it should only be a couple of weeks but Im selling the amp for HALF of what I paid for it. If I sell it... sometimes we buy our lemons because we dont know how to make lemonade.

good luck to you

Here's a thought...once you get the amp back and for argument's sake, all is working well, will you be able to live with the fact that this particular amp has been in an out of service for numerous times? It's one of those things that bother some people even though the amp is working. Who knows, if MB did not find a hard fault, and the prior problems were intermittent, then there is a chance the amp might act up again. Imagine if this were to happen during one of your gigs!

Anyway, some folks are able to live with these prior problems, some may not. It really boils down to your comfort level regarding the reliability of this particular amp. Granted, MB amps in general have a very good track record. If you play the percentages and compare to the reliable amp versus the unreliable amp, I bet MB passes this in flying colors!

If I was in your situation, I'd be cutting my losses quick. Just a thought...

Mine is the 2nd time it goes, i'm still waiting for it, and i can live with it!!!!
if it comes fine I will not be thinking about it anymore, if the problem persists... I will sell it to buy another one??? There's nothing on the market to compete with this amp!!!! at least at this price!!!
Perfect clean, perfect high gain!

Mesa has told me that Mark Vs in the US are all supposed to go to Petaluma for service. Did you take your amp elsewhere?

The first two times it had a problem, it went to a local tech, at Mesa's suggestion. The tech is on the list that comes with the amp.

Latest posts

Back