Yes, LSS's are still selling even considering the 5:50

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strat N My Stuff

Reaction score
I gave consideration to the 5:25, which I didn't make it far with me. I bought it without getting to open it up much at all, but having positive expectations. One night at home and I knew it wasn't for me. I waited for what seemed like forever for a 5:50 to compare to the LSS. Based upon what I had been reading here and elsewhere, I was confident that the 5:50 was the ideal amp.

I had to compare the 5:50 (212) to the LSS, despite only wanting a single 12, but for decision purposes, I believe it worked to the 5:50's advantange, not disadvantage.

While the 5:50 makes a very strong showing, I personally liked the warmth and dimension of the LSS over the Express. As I learned early on, Tone is personal, so if you disagree, I respect that.

The Express proves versatile both as to clean with decent headroom and gain (though not metal, as other opinions have pointed out). I believe that the Contour on the Express makes this amp what it is. I have no doubt it will have a solid nitch and a devote following.

I used the guitars in my signature and the LSS seemed to "cooperate" with them. It might be my trying to justify the LSS over the Express, but it seems to me that the LSS wins in expressiveness and dynamics. Similar in my opinion to articulating when you sing, just sounds better.

I "learned" as part of the education on tubes during my amp search, that the EL84's would be weak in the bottom end, emphasizing treble tones. I don't feel I gave up anything with the LSS, but thats just my opinion. If you had thoughts that Mesa crippled the LSS market with the Express, I would disagree. Just my .02

For the type of music I play, my style of playing, and the guitars I own and use, my Lone Star Special is the perfect amp. I've never heard a Strat sound so meaty and tone-FULL, and that's from a guy whose main axes are humbucker-equipped Gibsons (Les Pauls and an ES-335).

I just checked out the MESA line a couple of weeks ago, and fell in love with the LSS over everything else. Yep -- it came home with me that day.

If you like the LSS tone already, try retubing with NOS tubes - there are long threads on this in the tube forum. I did it late last year and an already wonderful amp now sounds twice as sweet (to my ears).

I don't think the 5:50 was supposed to be a competitor or less expensive alternative to the LSS. A different amp altogether (6L6s vs EL84s). The LSS is a great sounding amp as is the 5:50.

The LSS and the Express help to round-out the Mesa product line and hit feature sets and price-points different, but complimentary to each other. For me the small foot-print, weight, and 50w power helped me to decide on an Express 5:50.

The LSS is awesome, I played it and can vouch for the beautiful tone. I also have an EL 84 amp, and wanted the 6L6 sound so that was another factor in my decision.

I don't think LSS sales will suffer because of the Express. The LS name is already too well known, and the LSS only furthers its excellent reputation.

Richt

richt said:
The LSS and the Express help to round-out the Mesa product line and hit feature sets and price-points different, but complimentary to each other. For me the small foot-print, weight, and 50w power helped me to decide on an Express 5:50.

The LSS is awesome, I played it and can vouch for the beautiful tone. I also have an EL 84 amp, and wanted the 6L6 sound so that was another factor in my decision.

I don't think LSS sales will suffer because of the Express. The LS name is already too well known, and the LSS only furthers its excellent reputation.

Richt

+1 Articulated well.

I too will be adding another El84 amp to my collection (I don't count the 5:25 as it is not in the same league as the LSS, this one was purchased for the weight, footprint, and the feature set)

I am evaluating whether going back to an LSS or some other manufactuer's eL84 offering. Thus far, I have like the clean tones from the Bad Cat Cub II R best. But it is limited in features and capabilities for it's price of $2K+. All of the others I''ve tried have also come up short against the LSS....so it may very well end up being the LSS again.

JAZZGEAR I am evaluating whether going back to an LSS or some other manufactuer's eL84 offering. Thus far said:
I myself intended to consider the Bad Cat early on, given comments on its tone (similar to those made re: LSS), and pretty much ruled it out on the basis that if the LSS sound worked, it had to be a better "bargain", if you can call it that at $1700.00.

Curious given your statement re: best liking the clean tones of the Cub:
At what price point would you consider the BC CubII to overtake the LSS where you would purchase it despite its "limited" nature?

Strat N My Stuff said:
I myself intended to consider the Bad Cat early on, given comments on its tone (similar to those made re: LSS), and pretty much ruled it out on the basis that if the LSS sound worked, it had to be a better "bargain", if you can call it that at $1700.00.

Curious given your statement re: best liking the clean tones of the Cub:
At what price point would you consider the BC CubII to overtake the LSS where you would purchase it despite its "limited" nature?

I'd pay the same price as the LSS if it had two additional features:

30 Watts (switchable to 15)
An Effects Loop.

The Cub II R has the following:

15 Watts
1 Channel
No Effects Loop.

But let me tell you, the CUB II R's clean channel smokes, I mean smokes the clean channel from the LSS which is great in itself.. the CUB's is nearly heavenly, 3 dimensional.

The cub costs $2079...and it's just too much to pay for only 15 watts, 1 channel...I could even live w/o the loop...as you really don't need it with how good it sounds.

If the CUB II R was $1400-$1500, as is, I'd buy it over the LSS

Back