Yay! it looks like I just bought a Triaxis w/abacus pedal

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

disassembled

Reaction score
Well, after about a week of digging I finally found one with an Abacus controller for $1100. Not really a great price but better than what they go for on ebay(except for the one that sold for 1600 with a gforce, TA, and 2:90). I was offered to buy a 2:90 as well, and was really tempted, but I doubt I will barely be able to crank up my 20/20 let alone a 2 90.

About the TA: It's a V2 non phat mod (thank god!) and I hope to experiment with a few tube combos I have here (JJ ECC832/half 12AX half 12au). I plan to run the TA in the loop of my PV Tubefex using the 5 cable method (since I am running stereo). This way I can choose to run the TA dry, with FX(pre or post), in combination with the tubefex pre(by splitting the signal of each preamp), or straight Tubefex pre. The tubefex gives me a lot of Marshall like tones so I think it will be a great companion and I think it's a great sounding fx processor. Lastly, if the TA just blows the Tubefex out of the water making it useless I may sell and get a dedicated effects unit. I am also keeping a rockmaster preamp to keep those old school 90's PV metal tones and to stay in the analog realm when desired.

Does anyone use an Abacus? I tried to find specs online but really haven't seen much. Does it have CC inputs? If so, how many? Is it useful compared to an Art X-15(which I currently own)?

disassembled said:
Well, after about a week of digging I finally found one with an Abacus controller for $1100. Not really a great price but better than what they go for on ebay(except for the one that sold for 1600 with a gforce, TA, and 2:90). I was offered to buy a 2:90 as well, and was really tempted, but I doubt I will barely be able to crank up my 20/20 let alone a 2 90.

About the TA: It's a V2 non phat mod (thank god!) and I hope to experiment with a few tube combos I have here (JJ ECC832/half 12AX half 12au). I plan to run the TA in the loop of my PV Tubefex using the 5 cable method (since I am running stereo). This way I can choose to run the TA dry, with FX(pre or post), in combination with the tubefex pre(by splitting the signal of each preamp), or straight Tubefex pre. The tubefex gives me a lot of Marshall like tones so I think it will be a great companion and I think it's a great sounding fx processor. Lastly, if the TA just blows the Tubefex out of the water making it useless I may sell and get a dedicated effects unit. I am also keeping a rockmaster preamp to keep those old school 90's PV metal tones and to stay in the analog realm when desired.

Does anyone use an Abacus? I tried to find specs online but really haven't seen much. Does it have CC inputs? If so, how many? Is it useful compared to an Art X-15(which I currently own)?

the abacus is justa switching devide whn used with the traxis... only up and down through presets... no CC

Well I guess I lied. Turns out the seller was unsure of a lot of things so I decided not to take a chance. Seeing how he wanted a lot for a very old Triaxis I just picked up a newer one for the same price and got exactly what I wanted.

I think I am going to go with the Behringer footboard since it seems versatile and inexpensive. I don't need a tour worthy footswitch as I just am practicing in my room. The behringer seems to be the most versatile controller in the price range and should fit my application well.

Do you think the Behringer will be better than the X-15? When I owned one, I thought it was about the most flexible controller for the money.

I wish I handn't sold mine.

I absolutely think the behringer is better than the X-15. I am not positive of the EXACT specs for operation but I know atleast you can set up each bank as if it were a different controller set up for a specific task(such as change the channel that the expression pedals work on, make some of the on/off switches CC's, make some PC switches, make some switches send out data on certain midi channels, etc). The x-15 was setup to do simple things, while it does it well, I want the option for more flexibilty. If you need to control more than 1 device the Behringer looks more appealing.

I think people get overwhelmed when they look at the behringer without understanding how it works. Once you break it down and plan out how you it to be setup then I think it is a powerful piece for almost any rig. If you want plug and play while still remaining customized somewhat then you'd probably be better off staying away.

For what it's worth, if you get a foot controller that supports phantom power you only need to run one cable out to the controller from the rack. Makes for a clean and easy setup.

The triaxis supports a phantom powered controller.

Rocktron, Digital Music Corp., and Lexicon come to mind.

Chris... 8)

chedgeco said:
For what it's worth, if you get a foot controller that supports phantom power you only need to run one cable out to the controller from the rack. Makes for a clean and easy setup.

The triaxis supports a phantom powered controller.

Rocktron, Digital Music Corp., and Lexicon come to mind.

Chris... 8)

I had a feeling a reply like this was coming :) You guys must get a comission for selling those things :)If the internal voltage of the Behringer is around 15 volts or less then I can steal it from the Triaxis. This is what I did with my last contoller. It did not have phantom power originally and I tapped a 15 volt source inside my old midi switcher. I did this using a regular 5 pin cable too.

Besides, when I am mostly playing in my bedroom there's no reason to go for real pro equipment when I can have everything I need in a neat little package with the CC pedals attached to the board.

Thanks for the sales pitch though! :)

Back