Xotic BB or BB+ for Express 5:50?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Room3

Reaction score
I understand that the BB is voiced differently from the BB+, with the '+' being obviously more versatile. I've tried the BB+ through a Suhr Badger and it sounde quite nice on channel 'A'and in stacked mode (didn't spend enough time with channel 'B' on it's own).

I love the clean channel of my Express 5:50, so I'm looking for an overdrive that could cover the sounds in blues, classic rock and legato styled fusion on a strat. I can also stack either of these with my Fulldrive 2 or Boss od3 (Monte Allums modded).

Any opinions as to which one might work well with the 5:50?

Personally, I like the BB and the AC instead of the BB+ but thats just one opinion. It would give you a four channel amp, but for me 90% of the dirt box stuff I do is just with the BB pre amp. Happy Hunting!

I preferred the BB to the BB+ To my ears the BB sounded more organic.... Personal preference. I also prefered how it sounded on the Exotic web site when A/B'ed with the BB+

For a little more $$$ I'd go even more versatile that the BB+ and get an AC Booster and a BB Preamp

Before you make a concrete decision, you should check out the Ethos Overdrive from Custom Tones Inc. I have not tried it, but it looks awesome and I have heard great things about it. Kind of pricey though. Good luck!!!

If you want a great OD pedal with tones the 5:50 can't do try an Analogman or Keeley mod'ed Tubescreamer like a Maxon or Ibanez TS-808. I have a Fulldrive Mosfet 11 also but prefer my Maxon TS-808.

I use my boss blues driver which isnt a very popular pedal for what you need.

That said its great for that, because the pedal retains as much natural dynamics as possible. Check the boss site...it also has settings on the site to help you use it as a booster like i use mine for.

Its great for the clean channel.

I use the AC + , and have tried the BB+.

I liked both equally but went with the AC+. It stacks better with my OCD.

Back