Will "Standby" mode warm up the tubes?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grayson73

Reaction score
I just bought a used Mesa 5:25 and am playing around with it to get the sounds that I like. I read that the tubes need to be warmed up for best sound.

1. Can I warm up the tubes by turning on the amp and putting it on standby mode, or do I have to play through it to warm it up?

2. Does it warm up faster by increasing gain or master volume?

3. How long before it "warms up"?

It is in fact warming up in stand by mode. I usually wait 3 to 5 minutes before playing. But you will find they run better as they warm up.

This is what Mesa Says in the Manual.

Before the power is switched on, make sure the STANDBY switch is in the STANDBY position. Wait at least 30 seconds and then flip the STANDBY switch to its ON position. Following this simple warm up procedure helps in preventing tube problems and increase their toneful life substantially.

The knobs have no effect on the warm-up, but it's usually safer to put the master volume at zero to start.
The manual is available at Mesa's web site.
It makes a good read, and has scads and scads of fabulous info on your new amp.
Welcome to the Mesa club! :D

I like to turn the amp "ON", wait a couple of minutes and hit the standby switch "on". Don't mess with any other knobs. No need. Read the manual-a wealth of information.

JMHO,

TW

I think that standby just prevents 'cold shock' to the tubes. (I like at least 5 minutes on standby from a cold start)
It takes some playing on the amp to get the tubes 'warmed up'.

The last time I was in the studio, my band recorded a 5 song EP.
When I was recording my guitar tracks, the third song was when my tubes got 'warmed up'.
I could tell that they were. My tone was 'hotter'.
The next day, I came back and did my 2nd guitar tracks. Played the songs in the same order.
By the third song, the amp was warmed up. Same as the day before.

grayson73 said:
I just bought a used Mesa 5:25 and am playing around with it to get the sounds that I like. I read that the tubes need to be warmed up for best sound.

1. Can I warm up the tubes by turning on the amp and putting it on standby mode, or do I have to play through it to warm it up?

2. Does it warm up faster by increasing gain or master volume?

3. How long before it "warms up"?

ah I highly recommend you download the Manual from the Mesa website.
It has lots of essential amp info.
Turn the amp on and off as recommended in the Manual via the Standby switch.
I think it recommends about 30 seconds wait :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back