Will I like a Roadster

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerseydrew

Reaction score
I'm a big Mesa fan, like everyone else here. I have owned a bunch of different Boogie's before but only own a MKIV right now. The MKIV is my favorite amp of all time. I will never sell it. But being a GASolholic, I like to try different things. I've never owned a Dual Rec or a Roadster. I'd love to have one to see how I feel about it. I'm leaning more towards the Roadster because it has more options than the dual Rectifier.

So, how different will the Roadster be from my MKIV? I don't play heavy metal, I'm more of a classic rock guy. I'm really itching to try one.

Any opinions?

The Roadster has far better cleans and crunch than the Mk IV, but for the disto channels?... unless you like that mooshy Recto tone keep your Mk IV or get a Stiletto.

The Stiletto is the sound of classic rock and beyond.

lockbody said:
The Roadster has far better cleans and crunch than the Mk IV, but for the disto channels?... unless you like that mooshy Recto tone keep your Mk IV or get a Stiletto.

The Stiletto is the sound of classic rock and beyond.

I'm not familiar with the Roadster but I have to agree with you on the Stiletto - although a deceptively simple amp there's a huge range of tones in there, starting with the Marshall classic-rock-on-steroids type of sound. I waver back and forth between my Mark IV and my Stiletto - they both have their pros and cons - but man can that Stiletto howl!

roadster is an awesome amp....u can get ALOT of tones from it. if u are willing to mess with the eq, u can nail pretty much any tone (close to it).

the Roadster is an awesome amp with lots of options. the mark 4 is a tighter gain amp. the roadster is a dual recto but it sound a little bit different. the dual and triple recto is known for its raw and scooped sound not the tight sound of a mark 4. but when i compare the roadster with the ordinary dual so is the roadster more tight. I love this amp and would nt trade it. as I said lots of options 50/100watt reverb or not, tube rect or diode rect. very good fx loop also.
try one and compare for yourself.!!!!!!great cleans!

wildrat666 said:
the Roadster is an awesome amp with lots of options. the mark 4 is a tighter gain amp. the roadster is a dual recto but it sound a little bit different. the dual and triple recto is known for its raw and scooped sound not the tight sound of a mark 4. but when i compare the roadster with the ordinary dual so is the roadster more tight. I love this amp and would nt trade it. as I said lots of options 50/100watt reverb or not, tube rect or diode rect. very good fx loop also.
try one and compare for yourself.!!!!!!great cleans!

I'd echo all of this with the exception of the fx loop, which I think was designed badly and is a (moderate) tone sucker. The Roadster plus an OD and/or eq pedal excels at pretty much everything and has just a ridiculous number of tonal possibilities available on the fly once your channel eqs are dialed in

My bandmate's Roadster lives at my place so I have a lot of hours on it. If I could only have one head I'd get a roadster (well, actually, I'd probably spring for an RKII, but anyway :D) Only reason I haven't got one is that we don't need two Rectos in the band and I can play his pretty much anytime!

i think you'd like the roadster but it may be too much going off of your original post.... it can do classic rock all the way to metal.... but remember your paying for 4 channels and all the bells and whistles..... and remember half of the amp is a high gain hard rock/metal monster.... i think you could achieve all the classic rock type tones in something like a tremoverb if your looking for a recto, or in something like a stilleto or 5:50.... i actually got to try the 5:50 the other day at GC and it was a killer amp

another amp that comes to mind outside of the mesa line is the new egnater tourmaster.... 4 channels like the roadster except i find its more of a rock/classic rock type amp..... the cleans are some of the best ive heard (tons of headroom) and the distrotion channels are very thick and warm ... best suited for a rock or classic rock type tone... also you can set each channel at different wattage settings (100/50/20) and with half power (50/25/10).... the wattage settings are so killer.... going down to 10 watts is very refreshing and something you dont see in a full blown head like the tourmaster..... and just like the roadtser you can set each channel up on a different settings... i think the tourmaster might be right up your ally.... plus (which blew me away) a half stack is priced around 2000 which is what you'd pay for a roadster.... killer amp for playing rock

Back