Who else prefers the Mark III lead channel as rhythm?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fome

Reaction score
For the kind of stuff I play (prog metal) I find it hard to get a favorable tone from the rhythm 2 channel. I pretty much use the lead channel for everything. Anyone feel like this?

I just got a green stripe mark III head with all new Mesa tubes and have tried it out with 2 different cabs (one half-back Mesa with EV 150watt speakers) and a Genz-Benz 2x12 ported/baffled cab. Got the head and Mesa cab for $810. Seemed like a good deal.

The rhythm 2 seems more appropriate for blues/pop/rock. But I find the clean and lead the best of the three. I prefer my JCM 800 dirty channel to the rhythm 2 on this honestly.

The lead channel with the EQ in V shape is monstrous, like a hot-rodded JCM 800 with massive crunch. Similar to Metallica Master of Puppets sounds. Seems like a good thrash/shredder amp.

I haven't cranked it past 3 on the master volume in half-power mode. Planning to do that this week at the studio and compare to my series 1 RK head. This Mk III seems like it will be "satanic" loud, like the rectifier series.

Try using your guitar's volume pots for tone shaping as well. You can crank the lead gain and volume and use this technique to get different sounds without use rhythm 2 channel.

I used to feel the same about my III, I used to use the Lead Channel for everything and boost it for solos by switching OUT the EQ - I found this was the best way as you could a good chunk rhythm with a V EQ (set below middle line) and then switch it out to get a boost and cut for solos.

I used to use R2 for cleanish stuff too, probably more than I used R1.

Asoo is right about using guitar volume, these amps respond well to Guitar Volume changes - a huge amount of tones available from the III's

welshboogie said:
I used to feel the same about my III, I used to use the Lead Channel for everything and boost it for solos by switching OUT the EQ - I found this was the best way as you could a good chunk rhythm with a V EQ (set below middle line) and then switch it out to get a boost and cut for solos.

WOW!! this is EXACTLY what i do . . . cool! 8)

many often use the lead channel of their mark series amp to get a high-gain rhythm tone and then boost it for solos. Rhythm 2 channel can't get so heavy

Back