Who else builss an amp comparable to the Boogie Lone Star ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsouth

Reaction score
I am convinced (pretty much) that I want a Lone Star (the original "Classic" version, not the Lone Star "Special") but before I "jump", I am wondering who knows if anything built by Bogner, Top Hat, Bad Cat, other botique amp builder, etc, compares to the LSC in price, quality and sound ? 8)

I've found nothin' out there like it. However, the Genz Benz Black Pearl(EL-84) had a incredible clean and classic rock vibe but is only one channel.

Yeah, I would've mentioned the Black Pearl, but it's not a 6L6 based amp that gsouth was asking about. I've heard a lot of good things about that amp.

I own them both and the Lone Star KILLS the Black Pearl 112 side-by-side. Makes it sound like a ukelele!! It's a great portable amp, but in a real-world, on stage situation, my 22 years of experience have reaffirmed time after time that big-bottle 6L6 amps consistantly STOMP EL84 based amps......

I love the Vox/Matchless tone as much as the next guy, but I have learned that one can never have too much clean headroom on a moderately loud stage, and great big-bottle tone is hard to beat.

I have owned over 150 tube amps and the Lone Star is my all time overall fave. I currently run two 1x12 LSCs and sometimes sub my '96 Matchless Chieftain 212 for one of them when I want a bit more of an aggro British flavor. Colossal tone. NOT metal like a recto, but chewy and sparkley at the same time....just an incredible amp. GREAT lead tone too...(Many reveiwers only talk about the clean tone, but the gain tone is fantastic once you get it dialed in. I use a BB preamp for my crisp crunch rhythm tone and stomp the lead channel for leads.

The LoneStarClassic is the boogie for Boogie haters! One of the grea amps of all time IMHO.

Rock on,

Latest posts

Back