Which would you choose-2CH. Dual Rec or Recto Pre?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mightywarlock

Reaction score
I had a 3 ch. Triple Rectifier head i sold recently and bought a Rectifier Recording Preamp. I am using it with my 2:90 into a Recto cab...when i use it (lately have been mixing between the Triaxis, or JMP-1 or 3TM MP-1...the Recto Pre isn't even in the rack at the moment due to weight issues for gigging).

I found someone who has a 2 ch. Dual Recto loaded with new JJ's who is looking for an ADA mp-1, which i have 3 of and have sold one of them, and have been thinking of selling the 2nd one as well, and got to thinking, maybe i should sell the Recto Pre, and give this guy one of my MP-1's in exchange for the 2ch recto head...since everyone says those amps were better tonally.
i haven't heard one yet, but what is your opinion here?
should i sell the Recto Pre to get the 2ch. Dual Recto head?

by the way, called Mesa today and they told me it was a Aug. 99 model, and was the last of the 2ch. heads before the 3 ch. heads.

You could get the 2 ch. recto and A/B switch between it and your rackmount for solos...that's what i would do.

soundpurist said:
You could get the 2 ch. recto and A/B switch between it and your rackmount for solos...that's what i would do.

but what if you had to choose due to finances? you can only afford one...do you choose to keep the Recto Pre that goes into a 2:90, or keep a Dual Rec 2 ch head?

The cleans on the DR are inferior to Channel 1 on the Rec Pre by a long shot.

I've never played a Rec Pre through a 2:90 so I don't know how Channel 2 in that situation would compare to a DR. I have that guys who have played both DRs and a Rec Pre through the 2:100 often prefer the latter.

mightywarlock said:
soundpurist said:

but what if you had to choose due to finances? you can only afford one...do you choose to keep the Recto Pre that goes into a 2:90, or keep a Dual Rec 2 ch head?

I would be tempted by the recto 2 ch.. The way i understand it you keep the 2:90 right? If you can have a clean channel from another preamp (with the 2:90) in your rackmount i still would go for the A/B switching idea. I own the recto pre (in repair :( ) the reason why i prefer the preamp version to the head it's because it's dead silent, and the headroom of the power amp too (2:100). I'm actually looking for a studio preamp for the solo parts.

Personally, i want a vintage mark series amp (head) ,or a caliber 50 for practicing, jamming with my friends (i hate to move big and heavy musical equipment!) :evil:

I have all the pieces you are considering. To me it depends on the style of music you play most. The Rec Pre is killer to me for metal and the dual is a bit darker. I like the rack stuff because you can change your power amp choice on the fly. There are advantages either way. I'd say get another job and get it all!

Back