Which Mullard?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparklesmcgraw

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am wanting to try out a Mullard preamp tube in my Mark IV but am lost as to which one to get.

There are quite a few on ebay regularly but all differ somewhat. Should I be concerened about the differences if there are any? If so, which is a good one to go for to get an idea of their sound?

This link shows you what I mean......different codes...white label.....yallow label? Are any of these significantly different soundwise?

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=mullard+ecc83&_sacat=0&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1313&_dmpt=UK_Consumer_VintageAudio_RL&_odkw=mullard+ecc83&_osacat=0

Sparkles

The Mullard that most guitar players use is the short plate version, color of printing unimportant. Some guitar players prefer the tone of the long plate version, although they might be more prone to be microphonic and are more expensive. One exception is the 10m Mullard, a yellow print shortplate version that was originally designed to last 10,000 hours, they are VERY expensive and to me not worth the extra money tonewise. Short plate mullards have a fat midrange, the long plate has less midrange and more top end. Both types distort smoothly.

Thanks for the reply.

I have decided to go with this one : http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180465430929 to see what all the talk is about. Will give it a whirl in V1 the the Mark IVa once it arrives. Will be interesting if it changes the character of the distortion at all.

Sparklesmcgraw

Wow.

Well I got the tube, put it in V1 and am pleasantly surprised! Sounds great!

It really seems to tame the harsh highs,smooths out the tone but is not dark at all and sounds great!

Will be buying these from now on. I can 100% say it sounds better than a standard mesa 12ax7. Well to me anyway.

Sparkles,

Ya totally fooled me! This type I forgot to mention, the box plate Mullard 12ax7...this is also called the M8137, they are a top quality milspec type tube. At the price you paid consider yourself lucky to the max, you practically stole it! A better description from the buyer would have made it go for easily double that. Way to go! :D

Really? Cool. Are you sure it an M8137 as it looks different to this one : http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/M8137-ECC83-MULLARD-VALVE-TUBE_W0QQitemZ200398273989QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Consumer_VintageAudio_RL?hash=item2ea8aafdc5

This tube thing is never ending it seems but an enjoyable journey nonetheless.

What does the "L" etched into the bottom of the glass on the underside of the tube mean, if anything?

Is there like a Mullard 12ax7 library on here by any chance breaking down all the different varieties?

Sparklesmcgraw

The box plate design is what makes that type unique. It is hard for me to tell because the photos in both instances show more of the labeling than the guts. Labeling is unimportant. The guts are what make the sound. I have some Brimar labeled semi box plate ecc83/12ax7's that are identical to the Brimar cv4004 I also have, just the silkscreen is different. Also have seen the box plate M8137 design design in International Servicemaster logo, said made in Great Britain as well. The "L" is some sort of production code. The Philips company owned Mullard, Amperex, Philips, Miniwatt, and Siemens. There is a family resemblance in the more common short plate 12ax7's they made structurally, as well as some familial resemblance in their tones. My fave is the Siemens, followed by Amperex. I have seen Siemens shortplate 12ax7's on eBay with Mesa labeling, the internal structure of Siemens is unique among the Philips family. Mullard tooliing was sold to Matsushita in Japan, their 45 degree getter 12ax7's are among the highest quality ever made. They have a really bright top end that will wake up a dark sounding amp, in a high gain situation they will tear yer face off. :shock: Great for mid scooped metal tones in some amps.

I have some VERY rare 12ax7's labeled Sylvania, Made in England, the guts are identical to Brimar shortplate 12ax7's. Brimar tubes have "Made in England" printed on them, Mullards say "Made in Great Britain." The tones and harmonics are complex in detail and brilliant. Relabeling of 12ax7's was a common practice, especially during the time when the onset of transistors killed the tube manufacturors.

Latest posts

Back