Which Boogie

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitarboy1

Reaction score
Hi all..
My first post
I am currently getting rid of my Marshall TSL 100 and I am going to buy my first Boogie.
What Amp would you reccomend for Blues?
I am fortunate that I could Afford a RK but is this over the top for what I need and is the RK more for Rock.
I also need something powerfull enough for small gigs and also quiet enough for bedroom use.
Cheers..

:D

I am currently getting rid of my Marshall TSL 100 and I am going to buy my first Boogie.

That is the wisest choice that any TSL player could ever make.

I got my 1st Boogie (Dual Rectifier 2-channel head) by trading my TSL straight across for the head & a Widebody 1x12 cab. Then I got really dumb and sold the head for a Nomad 55, thinking that I needed more bells & whistles.

My 1st TSL ( I have since taken 2 lemon TSL's in on trade & parted them out ) was one of the 1st ones, but it didn't have the reliabillity issues that many of them have. As far as I know, the guy is still playing it.

As for choices for Blues, I don't have any experience with the Blue Angel or Lonestar, but the DC-5 or DC-3 will do just about everything you need it too. I have a DC-5 that I use JJ's in and it sounds incredible.

You should try out the Lone Star Special. Some of the best blues tones on the planet, and the output is switchable from 5-15-30 watts.

Thankyou so far guys,
Monsta-Tone, I am on my 3rd Marshall TSL, the 1st one they gave me had crackles and pops on the clean channel, the 2nd one they got in for me didn't even work at all, and now my 3rd has the same problem as the first but crackles on all 3 channels.
Marshalls quality control does not even exist.
What is the Lonestar 2x12 Combo like?
I want clean sparkles to rich creamy blues...
Cheers

Wow, I would get rid of it as fast as you can.

The last TSL I had bit me in the butt. It had Bias problems, so I replaced the entire Bias circuit and used the drawing that I got from Marshall's tech support. The values on the drawings were wrong.

I sold the amp on Ebay to a guy on Kauai, 2 islands over from where I was living at the time.

It got there and played great for 5 minutes, then the Bias imploded again. :( I had to refund 1/2 of his money.

It's a bad idea to make 100 watt combo amps with ribbon cables and crappy connectors. It might work for Crate, but not a $1500-$1800 Marshall.

FWIW, Peavey has been using ribbon cables in very sturdy amps for many years. Now if they could just make their amps sound good.

Can I suggest that you check ebay for a Trem-O-verb? They are great for blues in that blues mode/ orange channel and can be clonned for 2 blues channels one foe rhythm and one for leads. :D

Good move, I have a LSS 1X12 combo and a 1X12 ext cab and I get the sweetest/chimey cleans and the smoothest overdrive/distortion that I ever got from any amp. Haven't really spent any time with humbuckers but with the single coils in my ASAT's, it's tits.

Let us know how you like it and definitely spend some time cranking it a little in the 5 watt mode.

If you visit http://www.musicplayers.com, we have very in-depth reviews of the Road King Series II, Lone Star, and Stiletto. See the Reviews section...

My guess is that either the Lone Star or Roadster will be the amp for you. The Stiletto may give you a little too much of your old sound. Of course with the Road King II, you can have your choice of tone -- American or British.

But the Roadster is very versatile -- not as many options as the Road King II, but Lone Star cleans and Recto crunch if you want it.

Scott

I did a product review on the LoneStar a while ago for a local music mag I write for, and also posted on a UK prog website. You can find it here, and hopefully it will provide something useful. :)

The only thing the Road King/Roadster doesn't do is make coffee and give hand relief. I'm suggesting a mod to the boys in Petaluma. :shock:

P.S. - I'm still not sure if I like being called a Bottle Rocket.

guitarboy1 said:
Lonestar Special Head with matching 2x12 Cab in Cocoa has been ordered.
Will be with me in 2 days, thats what you call service, all in stock in Scotland :D :D and being shipped as I type.

I think you'll love that pup. I have Roadster, and could preach to ya. But there's no point....you have an amp on the way that will OWN.

Hope you dig it :)

Back