Where can I find a NOS RFT 12AX7 tube?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seanboy

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a store that sells this tube? Looking for a store here in the US. I searched on EBay, all of the sellers were outside of the US, I'm a little nervous to buy through ebay from someone outside of the US.

Does anyone here on the forum have one they would sell?

Thanks
Sean

I bought mine from a guy in Ukraine and the deal went perfectly. Whatever you do, buy a pair of them so you have a spare...just in case. ;)

Okay.... Kind of dumb question, is RFT a brand? Or does it stand for something? I found a local guy who is selling some Sylvania 12AX7's and he also has some RCA 12AX7's. are they good? How would they compare to the RFT?

How much difference would there be between a Tungsol 12AX7 and the RFT? Is it worth paying $50 for the RFT?

I guess I should have asked my question a little more clear. My mark III no stripe is too bright and fizzy for my liking. I'd like to darken it up just a little. How will the tung-sol affect the sound vs the RFT?

I have 3 RFT's in my Mesa, and one RCA, RFT's were made in East Germany. I don't like Tungsol (reissue) at all, or ANY chinese tube. I have heard good things about Sylvania. Do some research, then buy some and experiment. The RFT is a darker sounding tube, Tungsol (reissue) not so much.

JOEY B. is right, it might sound good to you in your amp and not to someone else's, it might be worth $50 to you and not to someone else...........

I don't buy off Ebay much, don't really trust it at all, it's a gamble for sure.

I do trust Tubemonger though...............I have asked him some questions on RFT's, and he knows his tubes.

Seanboy said:
I guess I should have asked my question a little more clear. My mark III no stripe is too bright and fizzy for my liking. I'd like to darken it up just a little. How will the tung-sol affect the sound vs the RFT?

Why didn't you say this to begin with? The C30 mod or the III+ mod will do the trick. Don't bother buying NOS preamp tubes until you try these mods. 8)

JOEY B. said:
Seanboy said:

Why didn't you say this to begin with? The C30 mod or the III+ mod will do the trick. Don't bother buying NOS preamp tubes until you try these mods. 8)

I've got all the parts to do the C30 mod, and I've got a great tech that builds amps that says he can do it, just been hesitant to do the mod. What if I don't like it? Can it be reversed? I'm just a little nervous to do it. I'm also going to have him do the R2 volume mod too.

Seanboy said:
I've got all the parts to do the C30 mod, and I've got a great tech that builds amps that says he can do it, just been hesitant to do the mod. What if I don't like it? Can it be reversed? I'm just a little nervous to do it.
Anything can be reversed, if need be. I don't think you will be unhappy with the mod. There is a reason for the revisions(Stripes) of the Mark III, think about it a bit. :D

JOEY B." Why didn't you say this to begin with? The C30 mod or the III+ mod will do the trick. Don't bother buying NOS preamp tubes until you try these mods. 8)[/quote said:
What would this mod do for my blue stripe Coli?

I've got another question, do all three mods ( C27, C30 and the C516) need to be done to be classified as the "+" mod? I'm not sure that I want to do all three, I want to do the C30 for sure, would I be better off doing all 3?

There is always subjectivity in tube tone, but it's probably safe to say, an NOS RFT tube is considered much darker than a modern Tungsol. Old gray plate RCAs from the '50s are similar to RFT, to me, but the breakup of the RFT is much more 'powerful'. In my green stripe - which already has most/all of the mods you've listed - ch3 was still too bright and the RFT in V3 tamed it without changing the character of ch1 and ch2.

I ordered one yesterday to put in V3, can't wait for it to arrive, so I can give it a try!

The RFT arrived today :D
Should I put it in V1 or V3? Which will help tame the brightness the most?
Next question.... I know which position is V1, but not sure about V3, do they go in order?

Thanks,
Sean

Start with V1, then switch it to V3, let your ears decide. Yes they go in order, V1 is closest to the input jack of course.

I started out with it in V3, definitely tamed the brightness A LOT, I think I'll keep it in V3 for a day or so, then put it in V1 and see which way I like it the best.

Back