What'd be a good Boogie combo for Jazz clean tone?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JT_Marshmallow

Reaction score
Of course I could just get a used Fender combo, but I'd like to get a Boogie so I have a good lead sound if needed.

So far I have my eye on either a Studio .22, a DC-3, or a Blue Angel.

Any other suggestions?

My Lonestar Classic is my go to amp for jazz and standards. I also run it in stereo with my Fender Concert (1985) for a really full sound.

DMTransmutation said:
Of course I could just get a used Fender combo, but I'd like to get a Boogie so I have a good lead sound if needed.

So far I have my eye on either a Studio .22, a DC-3, or a Blue Angel.

Any other suggestions?

How loud will you be playing?

If the Mark is too much, a DC-3 with JJ's should do the trick. They are naturally dark tubes, so with a DC-3, it just might do the trick.

Of course, if you are playing at stadium volume, you won't have enough headroom with the DC-3.

Well, I ask because the blue angel is a wonderful amp (so far) but it doesn't have a ton of headroom. With an alnico SRO 12" (103dB) it is pretty **** loud but it still starts to compress and overdrive pretty early.

Not that a Mark won't be a good choice if you want to stay super clean. Pure Jazz guys seem to want that IMO but a lot of modern jazz fusion players get dirty.

Thanks for the suggestions!

As far as volume goes, I'll be playing with a small jazz quartet.

It seems like y'all have pretty much recommended almost every Boogie model ever made except the rectos...so I'm guessing any one would give me what I'm looking for. Heh.

I love my Studio .22 without GEQ more every time I turn it on. I actually wasn't wild about it at first, but then I replaced the caps and LDRs and it really came alive. I also briefly had a .22+ with GEQ, but even after doing its caps it didn't sound near as good as the .22. Maybe it's because I didn't do the LDRs, or maybe it was just something specific about that amp, but the .22 killed it.

:lol: I saw a Jazz band at an awards presentation in Indiana a few years ago. The guitar player looked like Carrot Top's little brother, but he flat out rocked!

He was using a 3-channel Recto head and a Hollowbody guitar. I was too far away to see what guitar it was, but his tone was really impressive.

IMO....
how much $$ do you want to spend?
how portable do you want to be?

Studio 22 is a great small light Mesa with nice clean tone. Not to thrilled on the reverb but blows away a Deluxe Reverb and is as tonefully load as my Vibroverb.

Cheap, too

Pat@Kokomo

umm... I know it's overkill
BUT The mark iv HAS been heralded for it's use by Jazz players too you know guys :p

It's got a million options too XD
Check it out some time dude :)

I suggested the Stiletto because the EL34s allow the clean channel to either be very punchy and warm or soft and bright depending on your ideal jazz tone (and how you dial in the amp). I think it is a marvelous amp for any genre of music except for the brutal Metal tones. It may get closer with an actives loaded guitar, but I only have passive pups in my guitars. It plays nice with humbuckers and single coils alike!

Latest posts

Back