What type of 6L6 for 2:90?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Scotsman

Reaction score
Hey, I have just realised that there are a tone of different "types" of 6L6's available on the market. If I was to buy some for a 2:90 which ones should I get? Also, is there a difference between buying 3 matched pairs or 1 matched quad and 1 matched pair, etc etc?

I didn't know there are different types of 6L6.
I just retubed my 2.90 with 2 matched 6L6 sovtek quartets.
Exactly the same sound ,wich I love it. :D

i guess you are wrong.I don't know sombra and the expression huahuahauuha is very used in MSN talking in my country.
It's like a cartoon laugh.
I don't know you and I'm new here because I bought my new computer this week.My older one broked.
Whatever .

Well if you have any problems with sombra just PM him and stop acting like that.
WE are "damaging" someone else's posting.

while all this arguing is going on, our friend here who asked the question hasnt got an answer yet, so ill answer him.

no there arent different types of 6L6's, but there are a few manufacturers who make them. and IMO they each sound a little bit different. you have JJ's, Sovtek, Svetlana, NOS and others. each "CAN" be different in quality, and made with better materials. and they can have small impacts on your sound. for example, i noticed after swapping out my mesa tubes for JJs, tere was slightly more bass in my sound.

Hope this helps you.

Rayder said:
while all this arguing is going on, our friend here who asked the question hasnt got an answer yet, so ill answer him.

no there arent different types of 6L6's, but there are a few manufacturers who make them. and IMO they each sound a little bit different. you have JJ's, Sovtek, Svetlana, NOS and others. each "CAN" be different in quality, and made with better materials. and they can have small impacts on your sound. for example, i noticed after swapping out my mesa tubes for JJs, tere was slightly more bass in my sound.

Hope this helps you.
Hm... not exactly true. Well true in a way... The 6L6 triode family basically conists of the following contemporary valves:
6L6GB low max plate voltage
True 5881, ruggied Russian 23W type, low plate voltage
6L6GC high max voltage
Fake 5881, Sovteks and not the real thing in matters of tone and quality
KT-66, higher currant draw

Any amp with low voltage, high current plate powersource can use any of these valves without problem.

That's also not exactly true...

A KT66 is a lot bigger than a 6L6.
I would check if it fits inside a 2:90 or a 50:50.
There is not a lot of room there...

I'm not sure if the higher current draw of KT66's would be a problem for Mesa gear.
I read somewhere that some models draw a lot more current (Chinese KT66's?), while others have a current draw more comparable to a 6L6.

Would that be a problem for a rugged Mesa poweramp? Better check first...

I assume you installed an adjustable bias mod?

Latest posts

Back