What should I do

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dual rec

Reaction score
I dont like the sound of my vht fat bottom 2x12 with my dual rectifier. I think it sounds to bassy and the speakers are voiced for more of a vintage sound. I have done everything to try and like this cab but i dont. They are like 800 bucks new and I want to try and sell mine 500ish. I have played my other guitarist sheffield equipped peavey cab and it is closer to the sound I want. I play lots of metal lamb of god style and the p50e speakers dont cut it for the metal. Not enough sizzle
My ? is what 2x12 should I get. I was goin to get a 4x12 but the 2x12 does it fine for band rehersal and everything. I will probably get another 2x12 cab to go on top of the other in a few months. I was thinking of going for a 2x12 recto with v30's. I am pretty sure it will do the metal and it is still a deep set cab which I like. Does all of this sound good or should I try and do something else. Please help and thanks all
Derek

I run a single recto through a Marshall 1936 2x12 cab. Nice sound...smooth, it can thump too. I am Not sure what speakers are in there. But its a nice alternative to the 4x12...that and the Marshall sits a little higher than the recto 2x12 cabs so if you flip it on its side, maybe one could hear it a little better. maybe? lol Anyways...it works for me...and I have played shows with it and I feel comfortable with i. And I play fairly heavy music too.
Hum

my initial suggestion would have been the recto 2x12 Traditional Size, which is the smaller sized cabinet. The traditional cabs are made for fast, articulate, speed picking sounds. And if you say Lamb of God, then it only makes sense you go for this cab, as they use the same version but in 4x12.

I wasn't aware that there was a such thing as a traditional 2x12....I think the 2x12 is only a recto standard (oversized).

You might also try the older vertical 2x12 half back. It is open top and closed bottom. With a bs90 in the bottom and a v30 in the top it should sound good.

Why not just try a speaker change in your VHT? If it gets too muddy or flubby try a heavier speaker like one of those EV 200 watters or find something voiced correctly for what you want to play in a wattage that fits accordingly. I don't think it is the cabinet. Like you said the p50e may not be your choice speaker.

It might be your DR too. LOG plays Mark IVs.

It might be your DR too. LOG plays Mark IVs.[/quote]

Im not trying to sound like LOG I was just using them as an example. I just want a defined bass sound that is heavy but controlobly heavy not too much thump. THe p50e's are voiced weird and I dont like the sound they give me. My DR is modded and it sounds like I want it too just not through those speakers. Thanks for the opinions guys

Which guitar are you using for this and what are your settings?

The DR is kind of hard to dial in and there are lots of variables.

Here are some easy things to try.

1) Use the silicon diode rectifier
2) Use the bold power variac
3) Use a guitar with a tight attack (not your epi)
4) The presence control will tighten up your sound but you sacrifice note sustain the higher you go
5) Run an OD in front of your amp simply as a volume boost, not as a gain boost... this will tighten things up and give you a nice 'chug' to your sound.

It would be helpful if you posted ALL of your settings.. a lot of things can just be dialed wrong. I used to hate the mesa 2x12 cabinet until I realized I was just dialing in the amp wrong.

My epi has emg 81 and85 in it so that is about as tight as it gets. I've tried all the settings for the past 8 months and I am finally about to give up. If you want my settings here they are but u must remember my amp is modded so it sounds different than any other boogie.

Red channel
modern
Bold
tube rectifier
Biased for (6550) tubes
solo 4:00
output3:30-loud
presense:4:00
Master:6:30
gain:8:30
bass:6:00
mids:3:30
treble:8:30

Orange Channel
Vintage
Bold
tube rectifier
presense:5:30
master:9:00
gain:7:00
bass:5:00
mids:6:00
treble:7:00

Using silicon rectifiers should tighten it up some.

I use a 5150 4x12 which has the Sheffield speakers in and still gets flubby with the bass at times. Try changing the speakers first it will be cheaper.

Read this post and its what I'm trying to solve as well. Couple weeks ago is when I bought my first Mesa (DR) and should be getting this Harry Kolbe 1x12 cab this coming week. I know you're after a 2x12 but if you got two of these they may be fine, but I don't know since I haven't tried them out yet. In the end you'll prolly end up with what your buddy has since you already find it suitable to what genre you play. Just for shits n giggles though I'll let you know my finding once I try my speaker out. :lol:
Over and outasight!
Ken

dual rec said:
My epi has emg 81 and85 in it so that is about as tight as it gets. I've tried all the settings for the past 8 months and I am finally about to give up. If you want my settings here they are but u must remember my amp is modded so it sounds different than any other boogie.

Red channel
modern
Bold
tube rectifier
Biased for (6550) tubes

Orange Channel
Vintage
Bold
tube rectifier

Ah, you had them listed as 57 classics so that's why I said that.

Are those settings 'clock face' in nature? If so you've got some wild stuff going on :)

try running the bass very very low, like less than 9 oclock, then get an eq pedal and boost that. you get the big bass sound without the flub. at least thats my theory, never tried it, but after reading about mark2c+;s, i think thats how they do ti.

Platypus said:
dual rec said:

Red channel
modern
Bold
tube rectifier
Biased for (6550) tubes

Orange Channel
Vintage
Bold
tube rectifier

Ah, you had them listed as 57 classics so that's why I said that.

Are those settings 'clock face' in nature? If so you've got some wild stuff going on :)

Yes they are in clock nature. You have to remember my amp is modded and it sounds alot different than stock. I have tried all of the sample settings and stuff and they sound horrible with my amp. I know alot of the settings seem wild but this amp is a different beast. It's not the bass so much as it is the voicing of the speakers. Remember the main point of my post is the voicing. You would prolly have to try one out or something to hear what I am talking about. ANyway thanks for all of the help guys.

Well for one, switch to the diode rectifier.

Secondly, if your master is at 6:30, I take that to mean barely on.. you're not going to get any power tube distortion if your master is that low.

My bad guys I totally screwed all of that up. I dont know what I was thinkin all of that isnt clock base im real sorry. My master is at 1:30 but I will post the rest later sorry.

Sorry about this guys here are my settings. I dont know what the hell I was thinking when I posted my settings at first.

red channel
solo 10:00
output Loud
presence 10:00
master 12:30 -1:30
gain 2:30
bass 12:00
mids 9:30
treble 2:30

orange channel
presence 11:30
master 12:00
gain 12:30 -1:00
bass 11:00
mids 12:00
treble 1:30

Since I dont know how your tubes sound it is a bit hard to comment but my suggestion is that you bump the presence up a bit on both channels, I usually hover at 11:30 but if I want more tight attack I put it at 1:00.

Also, use the Bold Variac and the Diode Rectifier.

If you like the tube rectifier sag you might look into some JJ GZ34 tubes, they give you the diode attitude with the tube flavor.

I suggest getting a tube screamer, it'll tighten up the low end no matter what eq settings, diode/vacuum settings you have and give you that log sound youre looking for, no need to change cab just yet. I had the same problem, i bought a digitech bad monkey ( cheap tube screamer copy) blew me away how tight it made the bass sound.

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=BBEAFC606C13B6C8

A quick clip i made just before the fuse blew in my amp.

Familia><Publica said:
I suggest getting a tube screamer, it'll tighten up the low end no matter what eq settings, diode/vacuum settings you have and give you that log sound youre looking for, no need to change cab just yet. I had the same problem, i bought a digitech bad monkey ( cheap tube screamer copy) blew me away how tight it made the bass sound.

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=BBEAFC606C13B6C8

A quick clip i made just before the fuse blew in my amp.

+1 on the bad monkey, turned my amp from sounding good to sounding great, tightend up everything, and it has more sustain for solos at the same time.

Back