what preamp tubes for my recto

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metallicat

Reaction score
ok i need new pre amp tubes. i have jj's there ok. was think maybe ruby 12ax7a's? what do yall think?

I think you would benefit greater from a new cabinet to get that "Mesa" sound.

metallicat said:
ok i need new pre amp tubes. i have jj's there ok. was think maybe ruby 12ax7a's? what do yall think?

If you have the time and money try some NOS tubes. If you fish around the tube section of the forum, you'll find some great posts on NOS tubes. I just recently took the nose dive and I couldnt be happier. This thread goes through what i'm running and why: http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=32608&hilit=tube+experiment

Outside of going that direction I've heard some success stories with Doug's Tubes Recto Kit. i havent tried them myself, but some people here have dug them over the JJs from eurotubes.

I put a set of JJ ECC83's in and I haven't been disappointed. ECC83s tend to have a little bit harsher breakup though so if you run your gain past 5-6 then they probably won't be too great for you.

XevKai said:
I put a set of JJ ECC83's in and I haven't been disappointed. ECC83s tend to have a little bit harsher breakup though so if you run your gain past 5-6 then they probably won't be too great for you.

Yeah, they're high gain to start with. You have to keep your gain in check if you want to sound good. Mine stays around 12 Noon.

Back