What kind of music are people using their Stilettos for?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jak0lantern01

Reaction score
I'm close, real close to ordering my Stiletto Deuce. I'm just slightly concerned that it won't be able to handle "everything". So what type of music is everyone else out there using their Stilettos for?

Not sure of the definition of nu-metal. Perhaps a pic that would represent nu-metal would be of a turd.

Jak0lantern01 said:
Yeah, turd-like. Anyone else out there with a Stiletto?

I have 1x12 Ace. I play in a general to hard rock cover band, ranging from the 70's till now. I can get a good sound for any song. I keep the clean channel on tite clean and dial up the gain for some dirt, and back off the gtr volume to clean up. I keep channel 2 on crunch with the gain at about 10:00. Occasionally I'll flip it over to tite gain for a song or two, but usually goose it on crunch if I need any extra push. I find it works great with my Yamaha SG, but is harder to dial in a good sound w/my Strat (the unwound strings tend to get lost in the fray sometimes). Very bright amp--impossible to dial out the brightness, and might be too much for some people, but I like a bright sound. I heard the Deuce is not voiced as bright.

i honestly think my Stage I has it all. i use it in my hardcore band. i just slam the front with a MXR M-108. and sometimes ill take it to jam with my friend and his Texas country style band. i have used this to jam on some blues also with friends.

I have a Deuce Stage II and I have to say it is one of the most well rounded amps that I have played through. Extremely responsive to your guitar and pickups not to mention that it accepts effects well too. Drop a EQ in the loop to widen a few frequencies out and you would be amazed at what this amp can achieve.

From a nice clean to a mild or nasty crunch even for a walk on the modern side, the Deuce II has plenty to offer and should not be overlooked when in the market for a amplifier.

rabies said:
1) use the tone knob on your guitar to dial out the brightness

Believe me, man, I have. Even w/the tone knobs in the 2-5 range on my Strat, it's still a bright amp. It's much better with humbuckers.

SBG200 said:
rabies said:

Believe me, man, I have. Even w/the tone knobs in the 2-5 range on my Strat, it's still a bright amp. It's much better with humbuckers.

Where have you got your presence and treble set ?

I have a Stage 1 Deuce also and I would agree that it has it all... I use it in the studio on EVERY record I do - from pop and soul to r&B influenced stuff through mainstream rock, indie, alternative... haven't tried it in a metal context yet, but it does clean well, mainstream heavy well, and most everything in between...

Hope this helps.

Brent
bgroupmusic.com

Dr GearHead said:
SBG200 said:
rabies said:

Where have you got your presence and treble set ?

Between 7-9:00. It's just the OD settings though. With the fat or tite clean settings, I can keep them in the 11-2:00 range w/no problem. I'm not complaining about it, just an observation. I've heard many others say the same thing about the Ace.

I agree, it is a bright amp. Great with a loud band but not so good in isolation.

I was a lot happier when I changed the V30 to a G12-65, most of the time I am running it with an orange 2x12 which really adds some bottom end. It did sound great on it's own at a recent pup gig though

Dr GearHead said:
I agree, it is a bright amp. Great with a loud band but not so good in isolation.

I was a lot happier when I changed the V30 to a G12-65, most of the time I am running it with an orange 2x12 which really adds some bottom end. It did sound great on it's own at a recent pup gig though

Yeah, I've wondered how it'd sound with a different speaker. I have a homebuilt 2x12 with WGS Vet 30s so pretty much have the V30 sound covered with that. How does the 65 compare w/the 30?

Mine honestly covers EVERYTHING without even messing with EQ controls. I used channel one fat clean and channel two fluid drive, and I go anywhere from Red Hot Chillipeppers to Killswitch Engage with the Stiletto. AMAZING amp IMO.

I love mine as well... I go between Fat Clean and Tite Clean... My second channel is on Tite Gain 100% of the time. It is the nicest soloing sound I've ever had. I agree that humbuckers are the way to go. And I much prefer the Deuce II over the Ace. The tranny makes it much smoother and warmer IMO

Yeah, I've wondered how it'd sound with a different speaker. I have a homebuilt 2x12 with WGS Vet 30s so pretty much have the V30 sound covered with that. How does the 65 compare w/the 30?

I would say much warmer, smoother and crunchy

when you say metal are we talking Megadeth and Old Metallica, like Lightning and Kill 'em All, or hair metal.

I just love these Stiletto topics. As well as absolutely love the tone out of my Stiletto. I have a Deuce II that just blows me away everytime I plug into it. It is a brighter sounding amp than a recto, but that is what is was voiced for. If you are after the recto sounds, this aint the amp for you then. As far as versatility goes, I think it covers everything pretty well. The cleans are awesome on it. Even the low gain crunch settings are killer, plus the high gain settings are almost over-kill. I have mine set pretty low using the tite and fluid gain modes. To boost it, I just use my SD-1 or a Voodu Lab Sparkle drive, which I don't even think this amp needs anyways. I do use a MXR 6 band EQ in the loop if I really want to change it up. Over all though this amp needs very little if anything to make it sound good. I also run a G major in the loop but mostly for clean effects, delays and reverbs. But overall, just add on effects and none of the eq functions of it. I was sold on my Stiletto 2 minutes after plugging it in at the shop. I'm glad to see they are getting such a following now.

Latest posts

Back