What is consider better red or blue stripe on Mark III?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LPClassic

Reaction score
Sorry if this was already done on this forum but I want to check what is the concensus, I'm thinking on buying a Mark III head and I have a blue and a red stripe option, what is considered better, can someone give an opinion and reason why? Thanks in advance.

The Red Stripe is said to have a raw sounding high gain.

The Blue Stripe is said to have a more aggressive sounding high gain. The power section was made closer to that of a MkIIC+.

I don't think either is neccissarly better....just different.

I have both. IMO the red stripe is just a tad less compressed sounding. A little tighter overall. But this is a very slight thing. It sounds virtually identical to one of my blue stripe models. I have another blue stripe model that is darker and more compressed sounding than the others. It's the sweetest sounding Boogie I've ever owned.

Joey707 said:
I have both. IMO the red stripe is just a tad less compressed sounding. A little tighter overall. But this is a very slight thing. It sounds virtually identical to one of my blue stripe models. I have another blue stripe model that is darker and more compressed sounding than the others. It's the sweetest sounding Boogie I've ever owned.

Identical tubes in both your Blues?

If not, I'd like to know whats in the darker one..... :)

Thanks guys, very interesting input, I would like to have both but first one and I think I will try to get the blue one, besides is cheaper, thanks!!

All my amps have the same tubes. STR 415 6L6's EH pre amp tubes. Sovtek 12AX7LPS phase inverter tubes. Both my MK III blue stripes were worked on by Mike B at Mesa. He made them identical componet wise, but they don't quite sound the same. There's some kinda mojo in the amp.

I have a red stripe Mark III, and I think it sounds great!

i have never played a blue stripe, but the red, blue or green stripe Mark III seem to be the ones to get. Of course there will be differences in sound between even amps from the same stripe. No two amps sound exactly the same.

Anyway, the differences between the stripes are supposed to be small, so you can´t really go wrong with any of them, unless there is something wrong with the amp of course.

Latest posts

Back