What do you think of EH Preamp tubes?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micah

Reaction score
I have Electro Harmonix Preamp tubes in my 3 Channel Triple Rectifier from the guy I got it from on ebay. I dont have much expirience with tube swaps or the tonal differences between different tubes. Does anyone have any comments on these tubes and whether they are good or bad for your application--and then tell me what application you are using them for in your rectifier. What are the best preamp tubes?

Also, I ended up with a matched sextet of Phillips USA NOS 6L6's in the amp when I recieved it. Does anyone have anything to say about these tubes? Any suggestions if I want a thicker sound that gets bigger in the mids and lows when you turn the volume up?

Thanks for your help! :D

Kung-Fool said:
The Mesa "russian 2" 12ax7's that ship with all Mesa amps are EH. They are the same tube rebranded.

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?? :shock:

it seems that for every tube, there are people who hate them and people who love them. just try them out and make your own opinion

paleamberglow said:
it seems that for every tube, there are people who hate them and people who love them. just try them out and make your own opinion

I hear you--Im just trying to get pointed in the right directin before I waste $100 on glass or something--you know what I mean--?

yeah, i know what you mean. on thetubestore.com, they gave the EH 12ax7's a great review. it could be biased though, i dunno. i ordered some last week and they should be here any day now, i can let you know how they sound

Kung-Fool said:
Micah said:
Kung-Fool said:
The Mesa "russian 2" 12ax7's that ship with all Mesa amps are EH. They are the same tube rebranded.

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?? :shock:

Neither. Only you can decide what's good or bad based on how it sounds to you.

I hear you! :wink:

well i just put my EH preamp tubes in my mark IV along with some shuguang 5881/6L6's ... all i can say is it sounds great. they are a bit brighter than the tubes i had in before, but they don't sound bad at all. i just rolled back the treble a little bit on the lead channel and my tone was there. i'm very happy with them

paleamberglow said:
well i just put my EH preamp tubes in my mark IV along with some shuguang 5881/6L6's ... all i can say is it sounds great. they are a bit brighter than the tubes i had in before, but they don't sound bad at all. i just rolled back the treble a little bit on the lead channel and my tone was there. i'm very happy with them

Sweet man! Thanks! What Preamp tubes did you have in before?

Latest posts

Back