What do you call the clips for speaker wire -> speakers?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoG

Reaction score
Okay, dumbass question. I'm building a 1x12 just for fun.

Those little square clips you put on the end of your speaker wires to slide onto the terminal on the speaker, so you don't really need to solder them? What are they called? I want to know what to ask for at the electronics place...

(yeah, I know it would be better to just solder the wires on but I'm a gear ***** and I know I'm going to be swapping speakers out on a weekly basis. I already mounted nuts in the baffle for the speaker mounting screws, and made the cab front-loading, to make this easier :lol:)

I know you are trying to make things easier on yourself, but there is an enormous amount of vibration from speakers when you are pushing some volume through them. Personally, I wouldn't want to take the risk of one of those connectors shaking loose, thus removing load from your amp, and potentially frying your transformer in short order. Once that happens, you'll wish you took the extra 2 minutes to solder. Just my 2 cents 8)

Seriously? My Avatar cabs use those connectors... I can't see how they'd vibrate loose, they're super tight.

something to consider, though... may just solder 'em... thanks...!

spade connector
spade-connectors-female.jpg

If you properly install spade connecters they work fine without solder, but you can't just push them on and forget them. They need to be properly crimped after they are installed (there are plier like tools made for just this purpose). I will add however I've always felt more confident soldering the connections.

Um, No. The terminals speakers use are called quick connects. A spade looks like a 2 pronged fork. See below:

This is a SPADE:
0635.gif

This is a FEMALE QUICK-CONNECT:
Y375f.gif

~Matt

Back