what do microphonics sound like?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stu-LSS

Reaction score
i've got a crackling sound from my LSS that sounds like a loose earth and wondered if it's microphonics. it only happens when the strings are plucked and it stops when i mute the strings.

can anyone help?

Does it happen on all channels? You mention that when you pluck the strings you hear it, but when you mute them it goes away. What happens if you don't touch the strings or any metal part on your guitar at all? If the noise appears then, but goes away when you touch the strings, I would thing that is a ground problem on your guitar, or the input of the amp. If the noise happens only one channel, its probably a pre-amp. Test that first.

Microphonics usually sound kind of metallic (not to be confused with Metallica). Almost like a metal ringing when you tap the tube, but I have had preamp tubes sound scratchy and staticy too.

zeppman, yeah it happens with both channels. i get some hum when i dont touch the strings but its not the same or related to the suspected microphonics.

the suspected microphonic crackle is there only when the amp is producing sound. its the same sound as a dodgy lead but my guitar and lead are fine.

i knocked all the tubes with a pencil but didnt hear anything nasty. theyre stock, 6 months old and been used for less than 30 hours[/i]

tele_jas, i wouldnt describe it as a metallic sound. its like wiggling a bad lead but quite quiet, just underneath every plucked note.

It might not hurt to pull every tube out and re-seat all of them?? Also, try a different guitar cable and if you have a different guitar try that also. Make sure your guitar is the only thing connected to your amp (no pedals before the amp or FX in the loop). Sometimes it's the simplest things that cause the most problems, so I hope you don't think I'm talking down to you... I've done and still do my fair share of stupid stuff.

the most likely cultprit is crushed shielding in your guitar cable, or bad jacks. i've had this problem so many times, and it becomes very obvious when your listneing to it on headphones after recording. i also ran into trouble with a tone pot on my strat which caused a big headache. try to elminate factors, like try another guitar, another patch cable. if its still there, it's the amp.

ok dudes, thanks. i only have one guitar and one lead so i will borrow another of both to try and eliminate that.

i'm pretty meticulous though and i would be surprised if it is the guitar or lead but from the sound of it, you don't seem to thinks it is microphonics.

Back