What colour tubes do I need ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
(The best amps in the world! My Simul blue stripe's an '89).
The colour codes exist solely to match tubes to each other, and have no correlation to any particular sound.
I've heard of recommendations of "red" tubes for some very early Mk I and II models, but any Mesa branded power tube pair should work in your Mk III.
Note that power tubes work in matched pairs, and should be installed with a matched pair in the outer sockets, and a matched pair in the inner sockets, to wit: YXXY.
Groove tubes can be used, so long as you stick to GT's 4 to 7 range. Groove tubes own colour codes of Red, White, and Blue, are for Fender amps and have nothing to do with Mesa.
I currently run STR-454's (6L6) in the inner 6L6 sockets, and recently conducted a "taste-test" between several colours of EL-34's in the outer positions.
I switched back-and-forth between several pairs of STR-442's, STR-447's, and a single pair of STR-450's, with colours ranging from green to gray to yellow.
Frankly, any differences in tone and feel were so close as to be virtually meaningless, especially if you are playing on stage with a loud band.
I did find the 442's (no longer available unless used or NOS), to be a bit smoother than the 447. The STR-450's were the best, bit I'm not sure they are worth twice the money (or more).
My two cents.

Just an FYI.....
I talked to the guys at Mesa; they say GT's rated 4, 5 or 6.

They did not say 7...that may work OK, but may be too high for many Mesa models.
I know GC and MF sell in block ranges (1-3, 4-7, 8-10) but I'd go with what Mesa says.

And a quick phone call to Mesa would clear this up if you have any doubts.
After all, they have to know that Mesa tubes are not always available where GT's are. :)

Old BF Shred said:
Just an FYI.....
I talked to the guys at Mesa; they say GT's rated 4, 5 or 6.

They did not say 7...that may work OK, but may be too high for many Mesa models.
I know GC and MF sell in block ranges (1-3, 4-7, 8-10) but I'd go with what Mesa says.

And a quick phone call to Mesa would clear this up if you have any doubts.
After all, they have to know that Mesa tubes are not always available where GT's are. :)
More good info!

Latest posts

Back