Went to try a Roadster, and got snubbed!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monsta-Tone

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
I'm in Albuqurque until Saturday afternoon.

I went to Guitar Center, they had the usual collection of super cheap crap. Although, it was nice to not have anyone swarm me like most GC's.

I then went to Grandma's Music.

They have a Roadster Head & Combo.

They close at 7pm, I got there at 6pm, even though I left my hotel room 3 hours early. There was a wreck about 1 mile from the store, and it took me 2 hours to go 1 mile.

When I finally got there, I only got to try the Head out for about 5 minutes :( . There was another guy there who had driven as far as I did, so I let him play the Dual Rectifier, and I just messed around with some guitars.

I might have to go back.

Do you guys think it's worth the price of admission? $1850 is a lot of money to me right now, but I can always sell my Hot Rod 100 if I decide I want the Roadster.

To me from the sound of it, it is worth it, if you figure it isn't a ton more than a normal Dual Rec. Plus you figure, it has a nicer clean channel/50w-100w switching/tuner out, some pretty nice features for a little more $
If i had the money on hand to buy one i would, but building my pedal board is costing me.

oh my god... you've got a hot rod 100? how much WOULD you sell that for? I've been looking for one FOREVER (until I just stuck with the trem-o-verb) and theres a snakeskin one on eBay right now (which is SO hott cause i want snakeskin forever, glam rock baby!).

I would definitely go for it if you like the amp. I know it's a lot of $$$, but it's $600 less than the RKII if you can live without progressive linkage. If you look at it that way, it's easier to justify the price of the Roadster.

:D I went back today and spent about 2 hours with the 2x12 combo. :D

This amp has some serious potential.

I couldn't use the footswitch, so I don't know if it has the Reverb delay or not. There is a small bit of popping noise when switching from channel 1 to channel 4 with the rotary switch.

Does every Roadster have the Reverb delay? I don't use Reverb on my distortion sounds, but I love it on my Cleans.

Gee, I think every RK owner is spoiled by progressive linkage, I know I am. A rainbow of different tube tones at the stomp of a button, I couldn't do without it. It was a ***** coming up with the $3600 for mine in Dec 2004, had to put off getting a new truck for a while. Still haven't got the new truck yet, but I still have the RK and I'm still floored by what she does. Not knocking the Roadster or anything, I just love my progressive linkage tube combination choices to death. I know that not everybody can afford a RK, but if it were me, I'd do anything I could to come up with the extra bucks. Gotta do what you can afford though.

Monsta-Tone said:
I couldn't use the footswitch, so I don't know if it has the Reverb delay or not. There is a small bit of popping noise when switching from channel 1 to channel 4 with the rotary switch.

Does every Roadster have the Reverb delay? I don't use Reverb on my distortion sounds, but I love it on my Cleans.

* Popping noise: Yes, they all tend to do this when using the rotary knob on the back. It was this way with ALL 5 of my Boogies.

* Reverb delay: The reverb delay is standard on all newer Boogies with reverb (Road King 1&2, Roadster, Lonestar, ect...). It's to prevent a loud CRASH tone when switching channels. It takes about 2-4 seconds to fade in. You notice it when you're listening for it but in a live situation you don't really ever notice it. :wink:

I haven't tried the RK, I've never even seen one up close.

I have had 2 DR's, a Rectoverb, and have tried the Triple Rec, and recently the Tremoverb.

Of all of these amps, the Tremo was my favorite, hands down, with the ROV in a close 2nd.

I'm selling my Heartbreaker, the Hot Rod 100, and my Fender 75 and getting the Roadster. It will basically replace all of those amps.

I think I'll go for the combo, I'm only 36, and in good condition, so the weight is nothing. I tried lifting the one in the store, it's about as heavy as my Heartbreaker, but the HB doesn't have side handles.

I've thought about it a lot. This is the amp that I've been looking for. I really like the 6L6 sound, and if I want EL's, I can just put some in. I think that the Progressive Linkage would just mean more stuff for me to play with instead of deciding on the tones I want and keeping them.

JGVentura,
PM me if you're intersted in the Soldano.

Cellardweller,
I don't know what Cardinal Pharma is. Is that a local band?

Tele,
The Tremoverb doesn't have that crash sound. I wonder why they actually put the delay in.

Latest posts

Back