Weird noise when putting wrong cord into FT SW on LSC

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

btdvox

Reaction score
Hi guys, I just had one problem, It got me very worrie,d what happened was i have a LSC2X12, and i put my instrument cable into the footswitch and after 2 secs a weird like fuse shorting noise happened and the light flickered i immediatly turned it off, but got worried, do you think i did any damage? or is it just cause it was recieving a hot signal into the footswitch input?

It shouldn't have hurt anything........ I think the footswitch is tip-ring-sleave and the instrument cable is sleave-tip and it was just making "contact" noises. If it fires up, you should be ok.

yeah it was really weird it was fuzzing up and then the light started flickering (this was in liek 2 secs) so i immediatly turned it off , it turns on fine and no weird noises, i just get paranoid, im gonna do a "soundcheck 2morrow " ill let you know

Ya, sorry for not replying! I was waiting for someone else to answer this question. :? With my two channel Dual Rec, I've always used an instrument cable!

Mesa should have designed the amp without the footswitch jack being right next to the guitar input jack. I did that once myself also.

CodeTitan said:
Mesa should have designed the amp without the footswitch jack being right next to the guitar input jack. I did that once myself also.
OK, wait a minute! What is it you guys are or are'nt doing? I've always used an instrument cable for my footswitch! Do you guys mean, while your guitar was plugged into one end of your cable, you plugged the other end of that cable into the footswitch jack instead of the input jack, and heard something odd? Or is it incorrect to be using an instrument cable for footswitching? I would'nt think so?

jbird said:
CodeTitan said:
OK, wait a minute! What is it you guys are or are'nt doing? I've always used an instrument cable for my footswitch! Do you guys mean, while your guitar was plugged into one end of your cable, you plugged the other end of that cable into the footswitch jack instead of the input jack, and heard something odd? Or is it incorrect to be using an instrument cable for footswitching? I would'nt think so?

Yeah, I goofed and accidently plugged my guitar into the footswitch jack. I use the jacks on the back of the amp instead because I have my amp hooked up to a MIDI switching system for switching amp channels, solo boost, and reverb, so the footswitch jack on the front is too easily available.

I don't think there is actually a problem in using an instrument cable in the footswitch jack, but it wont offer you the the full functionality of switching both the amp channels and the solo boost. To have that functionality you need a TRS cable.

yeah the problem is that i was recording so i wasnt using my footswitch, and went to plug in my guitar and put it in the hole right below it which was ftswitch and that buzz, noise etc happened, i freaked out, your correct they shouldnt have designed it like that but its good to know there no problems with it

for the guy with the with the dual rec, its one button, its just a momentary switch, on/off type thing so it doesnt require trs

to the guy with the lsc, an instrument cable probably shorts or jumpers the connections that the footswitch normally regulates making your channels switch rapidly, and the noise was probably a result of such

Dual Rec is a "Latching," not a mometary switch. I just disected one the other day.

Btdvox, all you did was confuse the Relays. Your guitar has enough impedance to cause the Relays to not close all the way, but rather, they keep trying to close all the way. This is called "Chatter." It should not hurt the Relays because the contacts are extremely low current, meaning that there is only Signal flowing through the Relay, and not any large amount of voltage or current.

I did this to my DC-3 before I figured out the footswitch circuit (with the help of George M at Mesa) becuase I tried the standard footswitch circuit that's used on the Dual Rec. I ended up having to place the LED (and a 3.3k current limiting resistor) in parallel with the switch so that the LED would light up when the switch was Open. I have the Green LED for the Clean channel instead of the Red LED for the Lead channel.

Latest posts

Back