Weird EFX Loop Send problem

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsky17

Reaction score
This is a strange one. I recently purchased some Mogami 2524 cable and Neutrik connectors. All cables work in any cabling position on any guitar, through any amp, attached to any pedals, in any 4-cable position....except for the EFX Loop SEND on my Mark V 90 head. Really weird.

I tested every configuration with every cable I have from the 4 new Mogami cables to the oldest cables I have. Only ones that didn’t work were the 4 Mogamis in the EFX SEND position only.

Wrote to MESA who promptly wrote back, and said if other connectors/cables work, then there’s no way the SEND jack is faulty. They also said “ Sometimes differences in barrel diameter can be the cause. If you use plugs with a bigger barrel diameter it can open up the jack - and when a smaller diameter barrel is used it doesn't make good contact.”

You’d think any Neutrik connector would work, especially considering I tried all 8 of them on my 4 cables, but alright...I swapped out one of the Neutrik connectors with an Amphenol on one of the cables. Slightly different shape than the Neutrik, so why not try it I figured. That’s where it gets weirder...it STILL didn’t work in the SEND jack.

Btw, by “it doesn’t work” I should specify that the signal still comes through when the loop is active, but the volume is cut in half.

So it begs the question as to why this is happening? Why wouldn’t Mogami 2524 work with the SEND but work anywhere else? Why do my other cables with Mogami 2319, Neutrik and Amphenol connectors work in the SEND? To me, the only isolated variable is the SEND jack. Am I missing something? Have I totally spaced out and am missing something obvious?

Anyone experienced this or have any ideas? Thank you!!

Back