Voltage Drop out hurt my tubes?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibanez4life SZ!

Reaction score
Hey guys!

After my last gig, where the venue had insufficient power and made my amp loose power and power down 3 times, my recto seems to be acting oddly.

The day off the incident, I took it home, and at low volumes, it seemed to be doing just fine....

I went to practice with the band today, and it wasn't cutting through the mix at all, and was horribly boomy....not tight at all.....farty almost. Very little highs.....muddy.

I have the stock preamp and power amp tubes in, with JJ GZ-34 rectifiers.

Could the sudden power downs have hurt my amp in any way? If so, which tubes should I try replacing? Or am I just hearing things and being paranoid....is this possible?

I have spare power amp tubes, so if that is the problem, I can go with that easily!

Thanks for all the help!

could've been the way things mixed that day. some days the mix is spot on for me, others it blows horribly in the same room and i have to constantly tweak. try to put some flat settings or something simple and play it on your own, standing about 10ft back, without others. then switch the tubes and see what happens.

Idk....we did try a new guitarist today, and the setup was a bit different, so that might have contributed....I also did removed a pedal from my board, and this is the first time I'm playing in the room this way....

So I guess there were a lot of factors contributing to possible changes?

Do you guys think it could be a tube problem?

Any deviation from consistent power can cause a world of odd things to happen (variac or browning of your sound). If you are experiencing strange occurences go have your amp checked out. I would try out the regular setup from before the changes first though in your regular rehearsal space to double check to make sure that you are just not getting a little sketched out for nothing. Afterall, a little change can do a little more than you think sometimes. Actually, if it is still acting weird then get it checked asap before something else goes wrong. Electrical problems in circuits like to travel once damage is made.

Any other opinions?

If you were to guess, where would you think the problem would be? More than likely the power amp, I would have to believe....hopefully a tube swap will fix this.....

I'll see if my local shop can have it checked out!

No other opinions?

Could it be the recto tubes? I just recently started using JJ GZ34s, and I have no idea of their reliablility.....

Or power amp?

Or is this not at all possible?

If you're not blowing fuses, tubes probably fine...at least not damaged (they may be wearing out, how old are they?)

As far as the GZ34's reliability...in the 3 years I have been using them, only had one fail. It did blow the fuse BTW.[/i]

Latest posts

Back