V2,V3,V4 and V5 Preamp tube replacement opinions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danipman

Reaction score
Just replaced my MKIIC+ V1 with a GT Mullard and seems to be pretty good. I am also aware of the Mullard CV4024/12AT7 being an excellent Phase inverter tube and will probably be picking one with balanced triodes from Doug.

These 2 preamp postions are the most discussed.

Can anyone provide any opinion on the following preamp postions:

V2: Effects Return/Mixer Amp

V3:Reverb Return/Lead Drive

V4:Reverb Send /Lead Drive

While these tubes dont affect the tone of the amp as much, does anyone have a preference for these tubes replacments.

Mine are 20+ years old.

Dan

"On The Cheap"

The Ruby/Chinese "Silver Specials" are working great. I have 2 in my MKIII. These are made by the same folks in the same (Shuguang) tube factory as them (overpriced!) GT-M's

I have had excellent luck & results with JJ ECC83S's as well. Very quiet tubes.

Russ is on the money as usual. I use the silver specials (NOS) and current Ruby version. I also use the Ruby 12AX7C9. A very nice tube with great gain and smooth drivability. For the V1 and V5 i use either a 12AX7M or a NOS RFT.

I love those Groove Tube M (Mullards) 12ax7's. They can really change the character of an amp. They are very warm tubes. I have them in my Diezel and IIC+. I also like the Chinese 12ax7's and usually use a Mesa SPAX7 in V1 for High Gain. I have a pile of 12ax7's that I pop in and out until I find the best combination for each amp. Money is no object when retubing a IIC+ or Diezel!!! Tubes make a big difference in tone.

I've got GT12AX7M's in v1, v2, v3.. I think they sound great......I have some late '60's RCA's but the GT's sound better in this amp..a Mark III...
ax. :twisted:

Latest posts

Back