V...extreme gain?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Facelift

Reaction score
So here I am wondering which amp I should get and what its capable of. I have heard some clips of the mark V but as all of you know, youtube clips do not do justice to any amp. Basically to anyone that has had the opportunity to test this amp or hear it in person, is this amp capable of extreme high gain like what you would expect from say ENGL amps? I like the versatility of the V by whats been shown of it but it may be a little too versatile for my playing style which is pretty much thrash and some clean playing but I also dont want to box myself in to just that style either so a little versatility is ok. I currently have myself a Bogner Fish through a Mesa 2:90 and it doesnt have the massive gain that I want without boosting it. I dont want to recreate any Metallica tones but like how they got some heavy tones out of thier mark series and thats kinda what Im looking for just my own thing. I havent the opportunity to play through any of the mark series amps but by some clips I have heard makes me want one really bad. Does anyone think that the mark V is what Im looking for with the modern type extreme gain? I guess im just getting impatient waiting for these to ship and want answers as soon as possible. maybe the owners of the other mark series amps can help me in my decision. Thanks.

I'm sure it will do the job. I just sold an ENGL Powerball to buy a voddoo customized Marshall DSL. I had a Mark IV combo in the past. The IV has as much gain as the ENGL and I'm sure the V will-especially with the IIC setting. Don't worry about it. The Powerball is friggin awesome and for $1400 bux is the best high gain amp in its price range.

If it's just that modern type extreme gain your looking for and a little versatility, I'm thinking the IV might work too because I thought the extreme gain was the same as the IV with the knob pulled out (or pushed in-one of the two).

I don't think so. I think the IIC setting will have more gain than a Mark IV and the extreme is even more over the top. Some guys that played a V said the extreme setting was just ridiculous and too much. Guess we'll see.

MarkIVwidebody said:
I don't think so. I think the IIC setting will have more gain than a Mark IV and the extreme is even more over the top. Some guys that played a V said the extreme setting was just ridiculous and too much. Guess we'll see.

I don't think that the IIC+ mode will have more gain than the MkIV mode, just voiced a little different.

I have just been playing my loaded C+ with my Jackson SL2-MAH for over 1 hour and have not footswitched to the lead channel yet. When you get the guitar sounding great clean, then you are on to something. Remember that gain is the inverse of tone, and if your axe sounds like **** in the clean channel, then you are just using all that dirt to cover up a bad fundamental tone. I would have NO use for the extreme mode :shock: .

Latest posts

Back