using another amp as an effects processor with the dual rec

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metal_man12

Reaction score
I have a Johnson jm150, and as anyone that owns one knows, the effects on the amp are as good if not better then any stomp box... now heres my idea.

I want to take a cable from the send jack of the dual recs fx loop, and plug that into the input of the johnson(its a combo), then take a cable from one its outputs which is 4 ohms(its setup up like a cab and head, you can disconnect the speakers, etc) and send that through the boogies fx return jack, thus extracting the johnsons effects and coupling them with the dual recs awsome tone. Is this safe? Will it work?

thanks

i'm not a pro, others will chime in, but as a start i'd say no, simply because you are utilizing two preamps at once and i've never heard of this.if the amp was ONLY efx you got the right idea.

Nope! Thats like sending the Slave Out of your amp back to the Effects Return! Can you say Feedback Loop? Nice squeal! :?

No, it's not like sending the slave out back to the return, because the output you plan on sending back to the Recto is powered. That would be destructive.

Only connect speakers to speaker jacks or you could damage something on the receiving end.

You could try using the effects send on the JM if its post internal effects. Otherwise you would need to find an XLR->1/4" unbalanced cable which would do what you want but you might have to adjust input/output levels.

Mr_You said:
Only connect speakers to speaker jacks or you could damage something on the receiving end.

You could try using the effects send on the JM if its post internal effects. Otherwise you would need to find an XLR->1/4" unbalanced cable which would do what you want but you might have to adjust input/output levels.

+1 You need to use the JM's line-out/direct out if it has one NOT a speaker level output.

Wow, I never knew Digitech got into making amps.

As others have warned - connecting the speaker-output of your 'fx-amp' to the Return puts your Mesa at risk. Bad mojo.

You can potentially do this by taking the Send from the Mesa to the input on the Johnson, then the FX-Send from the Johnson to the Return on the Mesa. But, realize that the only thing that gets back to the Mesa would be whatever is before the "Send" on the Johnson.

According to the manual you also have a direct-out you could use.

The manual indicates you should have an input level control. Being that your guitar signal will have been 'pre-amped' already - you would want to adjust the input level down a lot.

But all this is kinda funky anyway. IMO, your Mesa completely obsoletes this thing. I would suggest selling it and buying an FX rack and simplify. I bet the end result would sound better because you wouldn't have to mess around with trying to adjust the Johnson's preamp out. :)

Latest posts

Back