Using an EQ with a Mesa

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chelch

Reaction score
I have been doing some research on single rack space eq's and I am a bit confused about somethig. All of these eq's I have found only have stereo looking outputs on the back. How the hell would I connect this to the back of my mesa. I feel like im missing the boat on this one.

Chelch...

To answer your question...if by "stereo looking" you mean that there are 2 inputs and 2 outputs...just use the left on both for mono. If you mean that the actual jacks are stereo-type (RCA) jacks...go to Radio Shack and get a couple of 1/4 inch female to RCA male adaptors, and that will do the trick.

BUT WAIT!!! THERE'S MORE!!!!

My personal (unsolicited) opinion is that outboard EQ's are totally unecessary on Boogies unless you want some really radical whacked out tones...

Boogie's amp tone controls are so interactive and sweet....I think investing time into the amp to learn all you can eventually get out of your tone controls is by far the best way to go.

I have had my Road King for 2 1/2 years now, and I'm still finding all the tones hidden in it's tone control section....

RB

Sorry to be vague. The inputs and outputs are actually stereo. Didnt think to just get an adaptor. :roll: I dont think clearly all the time. I use the modern setting exlusively. I play mainly metal/hardcore and the main reason I wanted to get a simple eq was to just shape the tone a bit.

Sorry to be vague. The inputs and outputs are actually stereo. Didnt think to just get an adaptor. :roll: I dont think clearly all the time. I use the modern setting exlusively. I play mainly metal/hardcore and the main reason I wanted to get a simple eq was to just shape the tone a bit.

Sorry to be vague on the inputs. The inputs and outputs are actually stereo. Didnt think to just get an adaptor. :roll: I dont think clearly all the time. I use the modern setting exlusively. I play mainly metal/hardcore and the main reason I wanted to get a simple eq was to just shape the tone a bit.

Red Barchetta said:
My personal (unsolicited) opinion is that outboard EQ's are totally unecessary on Boogies unless you want some really radical whacked out tones...

Boogie's amp tone controls are so interactive and sweet....I think investing time into the amp to learn all you can eventually get out of your tone controls is by far the best way to go.

I couldn't agree more. I used to use a BOSS GE-7 EQ pedal with my Dual Rec but noticed it took away some of my tone. I am much happier now that I don't use it anymore.

An EQ can be good if you want a different sound for solos or a little boost, but I think there are plenty of great tones in Boogies if you just take the time to uncover them. I'm not trying to talk you out of using an EQ, I would just suggest tweaking some more with the amp, then go to the EQ if you're still not happy.

I will definitely try to tweak some more. I have only really spent an hour or so at practice trying to tweak. Guess I need to hit the dials for a bit. Thanks guys

I forgot to mention that it is extremely benificial to read the owner's manual, specifically about the EQ, gain, presence, master, etc. It sounds basic I know, but they go into great detail about how each contol interacts with the rest and how to get the best sound you're looking for. The sample settings are also a great place to start if you're new to the amp, then tweak from there.

Hope that helps.

I will definitely try to tweak some more. I have only really spent an hour or so at practice trying to tweak. Guess I need to hit the dials for a bit. Thanks guys

-Sorry for the double posts. My internet is wacked out today.

RIGHT ON THE MONEY,

I went down this road with my Peavey JSX to make it sound better. Gave up - discovered Boogie for myself and the EQ I had in my rack KILLED the tone. Mesa's have true TONE adjustment no need for a EQ...

chelch said:

-Sorry for the double posts. My internet is wacked out today.

I've spent two years with my DR and I'm STILL finding stuff.

EQ isn't neccessary, you've got a Mesa :)

I agree with all these folks. Mesa tone controls actually do something. They really seem to change the character of the sound. I've played through some recent Marshall offerings and the tone controls leave me cold--shave off a little mid here, boost a little bass there--nothing special.

The interactivity of Mesa controls really adds something different.

I think it depends on what you use an EQ for. At one point in my playing I used an EQ to boost & cut and realized that an doing what the tone controls whould be doing.

Since that time and from the advisement of those smarter than myself, I now only use an EQ to "carve out" trouble spots. Yes, Mesas are great but we must be realistic and remember that sometimes there are trouble spots that we cannot get around with our current setups.

The best wxample I can give is when I had some mud tone in my amp before I retubed. The only way I could get rid of it was a slight eq drop around 300 and it sounded 100 times better.

I'd say this an EQ has 3 appropriate times:
#1 as an interim solution to say old/bad tubes or tired pickups
#2 in your gig bag just in case you are playing a very odd room
#3 in the studio for the engineer to appropriately set your in the most effective register with regards to the other instruments and utilizing concentrated tone over volume.

And that last point is the big one - tone over volume. When I first started playing I dialed in my amp so my guitar sounded as full as an acoustic and never could hear myself in the mix so I turned up and would often get too loud. Now, I am actually very, very low in the mix but I focus my tone so that I sit in nicely and there is no need to be louder. But I know from people listending to shows I play that I am in fact very quiet but I'm very present in the mix.

Hey strumminsix. Thats the main reason I want to try an eq. I love the tone of my single but there are just some minor things that I think I might not be able to correct with the dials on the head. You could say I play some pretty unpopular type of music (hardcore) along the lines of bands like UNEARTH, CONVERGE...and so on. Loud and fast.

My main issue is when palm muting its really chunky and not smooth like if I was using a metal zone pedal which I used to have.

IMO the most difficult thing to dial into any guitar amp are the low-mids. Does that sound like your problem? If so try coming down on the bass knob on the tone control and bring up an eq around say 700-1000.

Latest posts

Back