Using 2 heads

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barneyc4

Reaction score
How can you channel switch with two heads? For example two MARK IV or two ROADKING/ROADTER heads. What kind of footswitch do you need if you want to change channels on both heads at the same time.

barneyc4 said:
How can you channel switch with two heads? For example two MARK IV or two ROADKING/ROADTER heads. What kind of footswitch do you need if you want to change channels on both heads at the same time.

I use a Road King head and a Stiletto head with a 4x12 cab . I switch between the heads with a headbone VT . Ckeck it out at www.tonebone.com

Will I be able to use the 4 speakers at the same time when switching heads with the radial?

I actually meant using two of the same head in stereo. MIV and MIV or Roadster and Roadster.

I got a little carried away with the other posters so I kind of drifted away from my real topic.

So how would that work?

there are ways to switch both the heads and the channels with a single press of a button, but it involves a decent amount of gear including a midi controller

Now if you are running 2 of the same heads in stereo, it is much easier. Just use the second head basically as a second poweramp. So you run the slave out or the effect send from one head into the other. So basically one preamp is sending signal to both poweramps, and so if you change the channel on the head, then both poweramps will be affected equally.

I dont think this will work with a pair of Mk4's (as you have to select between footswitch or external switching on the amp) BUT....on Dual/Triples and Stilettos, the external switching jacks are always active and short tip-to-ground on the channel selected. You can connect the external switching jacks of one amp to the jacks on another amp with some short speaker cables, and connect the supplied footswitch to one amp... changing channels/loop/solo on the footswitch will control both amps. Not sure about Roadster/RK but I would think they would be set up like the other "modern" Mesas.

You can check to see if your amp(s) will work like this by plugging a cable into one of the switching jacks, and changing the channel with the amp's footswitch. Check the free end of the cable with an ohmmeter or continuity tester and see if it shows continuity when that channel is selected, and open when you switch to another channel.

Using a second amp's power section only (as a slave to the first amp) is easier, but doesn't allow for different EQ on the slave amp. It will sound just like the master amp unless you put some type of EQ/FX between the two heads. If this is the road you want to take, IMO you would be better off using a power amp instead of another head...more power, in stereo, for less money.

I use a framptone 3banger amp switcher,a little pricey but its killler! they also make a 2amp switcher! robert keeley,com :D

Latest posts

Back