Ultimate VH Brown Sound?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skeeter

Reaction score
I was checking out a Wampler Pinnacle pedal and man that thing really does nail that early VH brown sound. So I went about trying to dial that into my Mark V.

I think it lies somewhere in Mk1 mode, bass at 9:00, mids at 10:00, treble at 2:00, precense at 1:00. Still not sure about thick switch or not. Also, I've generally been trying it on 90w full power because I have a hot plate and can crank it at home without having to switch things up for rehearsal. Of course, going to 45w and variac power might help this particular sound. There's plenty of gain available, it can be backed up to around 2:00 or 3:00.

Lastly, the GEQ is some form of the shape where lowest end is near bottom and each band goes up successively.

I'm using an Ernie Ball Axis so I should be in the ball park as to guitar/pickups

Has anyone else been trying this? I didn't see it in the official tone settings thread. Just curious if anyone has had some success with this?

Thanks!

I have a Mark V Combo, a Wampler Pinnacle and and EVH 5150 iii 2 x12 combo. Three of my five guitars are Wolfgangs. Beleive it or not, I don't always try to nail the EVH sound, but I like the Mark V on iic+ mode the best for the early Van Halen sound. I think that it has a lot to do with the feel more than anything.

I'll have to experiment more with the Pinnacle into the Mark V. I bought the Pinnacle to use with my Blues Junior, so it generally stays connected in a different room. I wonder how close I can get to it with the Mark V.

abe said:
I think that it has a lot to do with the feel more than anything.

It is all feel. I have commented on this exact post question before. Think.... If you were at a gig and handed your guitar to Eddie Van Halen do you think it would sound like him, or you?

As Nuno Bettencourt says. Watch this clip.

https://youtu.be/1duw7XVnOMU?t=305

Using the exact equipment means nothing.

Back