Two Rock 100 overdrive Vs Mk IIc+ loaded

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shep

Reaction score
Just wondering if there is anyone who has tired or has a Two rock and a mk iic+.

Just wondereng what the differents are???

anything would be cool to hear.

I've owned a Two-Rock as well as lots of boogies. The preamp distortion characteristics of the Two-Rock (as with a Dumble) are somewhat similar to a mesa, being based on a cascading preamp design. It's smooth and fuzzy like a Mark, rather than thick and buzzy like a recto (whatever that means). The Two-Rock has a shorter signal chain and overall is more refined than a Mark. It's more hi-fi in the clean channel and more full-range in the gain channel. So it lacks the characteristic mesa midrange hump, which is different but not necessarily better. The thing I noticed right away is that the "fat Robben Ford" thing is all about hand control; if you bang away on the amp (or a Dumble for that matter) it actually sounds rather thin. It takes a very refined touch to coax those thick sounds out of it, which for me means twenty minutes of warm-up and some meditation. :lol: To my ear, the biggest difference is at higher volume with the preamp set lower and the master set higher, the touch sensitivity of the Two-Rock (which is their selling point) is more sophisticated. But Two-Rocks are commanding some pretty steep prices nowadays and Dumbles are absurd. Unless you really need that Dumble-esq thing, and you have the buttery touch to fully use it, for my money I'd get a mark V plus a car rather than the Two-Rock, but that's just me. A Fuchs-modified fender or traynor gets you into the ballpark for a lot less. But of course a mark IIC+ is a great amp in its own right, and deserves the accolades. And to me, the Mark IIC+ is probably closer to a Dumble sound than the other Marks (although I haven't played the V yet). Really all about personal preference. :mrgreen:

jojo said:
I've owned a Two-Rock as well as lots of boogies. The preamp distortion characteristics of the Two-Rock (as with a Dumble) are somewhat similar to a mesa, being based on a cascading preamp design. It's smooth and fuzzy like a Mark, rather than thick and buzzy like a recto (whatever that means). The Two-Rock has a shorter signal chain and overall is more refined than a Mark. It's more hi-fi in the clean channel and more full-range in the gain channel. So it lacks the characteristic mesa midrange hump, which is different but not necessarily better. The thing I noticed right away is that the "fat Robben Ford" thing is all about hand control; if you bang away on the amp (or a Dumble for that matter) it actually sounds rather thin. It takes a very refined touch to coax those thick sounds out of it, which for me means twenty minutes of warm-up and some meditation. :lol: To my ear, the biggest difference is at higher volume with the preamp set lower and the master set higher, the touch sensitivity of the Two-Rock (which is their selling point) is more sophisticated. But Two-Rocks are commanding some pretty steep prices nowadays and Dumbles are absurd. Unless you really need that Dumble-esq thing, and you have the buttery touch to fully use it, for my money I'd get a mark V plus a car rather than the Two-Rock, but that's just me. A Fuchs-modified fender or traynor gets you into the ballpark for a lot less. But of course a mark IIC+ is a great amp in its own right, and deserves the accolades. And to me, the Mark IIC+ is probably closer to a Dumble sound than the other Marks (although I haven't played the V yet). Really all about personal preference. :mrgreen:

I definitely agree. I have two C+'s and have played a few different two-rocks. The clean channel on the C+ is actually pretty **** close but the dumble clones have a more hi-fi sound.

Hi guys,
I have a Mesa Mark V head and I tried the Two Rock Bi Onyx 50.
Simpler to dial in than a Mark V and much more articulate, great fat warm midrange in lead channel when pushed.
I think the Two Rock 2x12 cab makes quite a bit of difference but I'm a little concerned the Two Rock Onyx
isn't loud enough. I have no idea how much pokier the 100 watt is but I'm seriously considering it.
I'll keep you posted.

I have both a Mark IV and a dumble clone. I like having both, although there's some overlap.

For a budget version of the two-rock/dumble sort of thing one might consider a Fuchs amp, or a Ceriatone. And be aware that almost every Dumble amp was custom made with different electronics for the players ordering them, and consequently there's no single Dumble clone - the real cloners offer multiple models, and what to get can be confusing. Mine is a Ceriatone Bluesmaster 50 watt, which is similar to the kind of amp Sonny Landroth uses - a very rich, marshally drive channel, and the clean channel is very similar to the blackface deluxe sort of sound - it's a beautiful thing to play through!

The whole Dumble clone scene is a strange sort of club/cult - there are people who devote their lives to these amps it seems. Check out the the amp garage - http://ampgarage.com/forum/ - or the dumble files site - http://www.roblivesey.com/dumble - for more information than you can stand.

Latest posts

Back