Turning the knobs

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mahoner

Reaction score
It seems like there are a bunch of questions about "settings" for amps. IMO amp setting recommendations are like a recipe for a dinner meal; they are merely a guideline. Some people like more salt, some people like more pepper, some people like to add a little onion or garlic even if the recipe doesn't call for it.

Once you get a baseline, use your ears and start turning knobs. Use every knob at your disposal, including the Volume and Tone on your guitar.

Think about the tone you have vs. the tone you desire. Get as close as you can without any pedals. Go from there.

It's OK to have the Treble set at 3 if that sounds good to you.

Turn your knobs.

It is kind of hard to turn the knobs on my Mark Iv with my ears....

just kidding.......sheeeeeeeeeeshhhhhh!

The settings are realy just a guide. With Mesa pots usually having a
10-15% tolerance drift, the guide may only get you close.
People would be amazed how turning the Vol. 1 on 8 and turning it 1/4 more produces the same amount of gain as another on 7 or 8.

In memory of Richard Ray.

" Mesa pots are all over the place. If one sounds good at six and the other one does not, turn it to seven".

It is kind of hard to turn the knobs on my Mark Iv with my ears....

With a little practice, you can get your ear hole to grab the knob. After that, it's just a matter of turning your head in the right direction. 8)

I have been finding that just the tiniest little bump of a knob can really send your tone flying. I mean sometimes it seems like the knobs are a little too sensitive. I am often wondering if my hands are a little too heavy for this amp after using Marshalls. I heard that there was a guy here locally that dials you in as a service if you ask to have your rig setup for you including effects. He has been known to literally barely touch the knobs and change your tone. I doubted this until I began the tone search on my MarkIV. It takes me about a song to get my Marshalls dialed in for a tone provided I am dialing quickly between changes so really maybe only seconds if I am not playing just tweaking. It may be that I am having a little difficulty with the Mark IV at times because of years of Marshall use. The two amp styles are definitely different to dial in. I can get close to the tones I want but I am still fiddling with the knobs.

Right on. I'm guilty of asking for help. The Mark IV has a big learning curve and just thought some of you with more experience might help me find my way a little faster.

Trust that I have been twisting the knobs and spending time with the amp. I also know that it will take a while to really discover what it can do.

Thanks to everyone here that has replied to any of my requests for assistance.

John

Back