Tuners for a les paul.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nathan28

Reaction score
Hey guys i have an 2007 Les Paul Standard and im wanting to go with better tuners, i purchased spertzel 3+3 trim lock and the only way to get them to fit is to drill, i dont mind the drilling, but even if i install them i will be able to see the screw holes on the guitar from the previous tuners. I want something better than stock(doesnt have to be locking, but locking is preferred)that would be almost a direct replacement. any help would be greatly appreciated.

The guitar comes out of tune on the g string, not bad, but enough, to get on my nerves, my PRS stays in all day even with the use of the trem, i always thought better tuners equal the guitar staying in tune better?? I have an 07 Les Paul it just has the regular cheap gibson tuners on it.

That type of tuning problem is usually caused by a problem at the nut. The G string slot might be tight and pinching the string. Does it make a ping noise when tuning?

Try lubricating the slot with pencil lead.

The problem can also be caused by poor stringing technique but if you're not having a problem with other guitars that's probably not the issue.

The tuners that came on your Les Paul will hold tune fine unless they're completely broken.

Don said:
That type of tuning problem is usually caused by a problem at the nut. The G string slot might be tight and pinching the string. Does it make a ping noise when tuning?

Try lubricating the slot with pencil lead.

The problem can also be caused by poor stringing technique but if you're not having a problem with other guitars that's probably not the issue.

The tuners that came on your Les Paul will hold tune fine unless they're completely broken.

+1

Most Gibsons ship with a plastic nut, where as your PRS came stock with a graphite nut. My suggestion is to go to a tech and have him install either a graphite nut or bone nut. Bone definitely sounds better, but you'll have to use a lubricant on it. I myself sacrifice the tone a smidge and just stick graphite nuts on all of my guitars. A graphite nut paired with a good set of Grover or Gotoh tuners should do the trick. :D

Most Likely is a nut issue. I just replaced the nut on my 78 les paul and now the tuning is much more stable. I also put a set of locking Grovers that matched up perfectly with no drilling. (i never really liked most of the stock tuners on gibsons)

Go to your tech and have the net recut or get a replacement cut. I'd go for the replacement myself.

Also, how much string do you wrap around the string tree? I do about a 3/4 turn-to-tune on my guitars, then stretch the strings out a good bit, and then it's rock solid, even tuned lower to Drop C or Drop B. The String tree slippage can really cause a tuning nightmare, and you might want to try this first before modifying the guitar. Good luck man.

-AJH

Really sounds like nut issue. If you've changed string brands or gauges, the slight difference in wire diameter can sometimes get you. Pencil lead really does work...and it's cheap too :D . Another thing I've done, is to use some 1000 grit sand paper, fold it in half and very gently run it back and forth in the problem groove a few times. That's usually all it takes on Les Pauls; they're usually pretty forgiving...Good Luck

Latest posts

Back