Tubes for V1 and phase inverter/which one is driver tube?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

godisme

Reaction score
Do I need special tubes (especially chosen) for these two or can I just buy 5 Sovtek's or whatever, 2 Sovteks (already have them new) and 3 JJ's for example? My first tube replacement, I don't really have any experience replacing tubes.

The manual says something about a "driver tube" but it's not marked on the chart. Which one is it- the input one (V1)?

godisme said:
Do I need special tubes (especially chosen) for these two or can I just buy 5 Sovtek's or whatever, 2 Sovteks (already have them new) and 3 JJ's for example? My first tube replacement, I don't really have any experience replacing tubes.

The manual says something about a "driver tube" but it's not marked on the chart. Which one is it- the input one (V1)?
What model amp do you have? The phase inverter is the driver tube and works best if it's a matched tube. It's not the tube in the V1 position. Your question could be better answered if you indicated what model amp you're talking about. Also what is the reason you want to change all the preamp tubes. Are you experiencing some type of problem?

Sorry, forgot to write it's Mark IV. The problem is described here:

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=71398#p485951

I'd rather not have to replace all the tubes but I've no idea what is causing it. I've already replaced V2, V3 and V5 and I sill have the problem.

godisme said:
Sorry, forgot to write it's Mark IV. The problem is described here:

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=71398#p485951

I'd rather not have to replace all the tubes but I've no idea what is causing it. I've already replaced V2, V3 and V5 and I sill have the problem.
Yeah brother I wish I had more suggestions for ya but I've never owned a Mark lV . In fact I've never even played a lV . So I have no experience trouble shooting that amp. My only suggestions when attempting to find a faulty preamp tube is to replace Vl with a good tube and see if that solves the problem. If it doesn't put the original tube back into Vl and move on to V2 and replace that tube with the tube you know to be good. If that doesn't fix the problem put the original V2 tube back and move on to V3 and so on until you've gone through all the preamp tube and either found the problem or ruled out the preamp tubes as the problem.

Latest posts

Back