Tube Question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sk8erps

Reaction score
Should my preamp tubes be glowing the same? I noticed that v3-5 look dimmer than v1-2. I Got the amp used a little over a year ago but have no idea how old the tubes are. I replaced v1 about 6 months ago when it blew.
BTW It's a Single Recto series 2

What is the long answer? lol But do the EHX tubes all glow equally? I'd think that having all mesa tubes they would glow evenly. My tone just seems different/weaker this week and figured preamp tubes was a logical answer. Then when I looked at them and saw 2 glowing bright and 3 dim with one of the 3 dimmer than the other 2, that's prob the the issue. Can anybody else weigh in on this?
So fluff, how much of a difference did the FJA mod make?

The long answer is still NO haha. And Mesa tubes are just re-branded tubes of other brands that have passed their inspection and quality testing. Mesa tubes can included Chinese (Shuguang), JJ and Electro-Harmonix. The general rule of thumb that I have always heard is the glow is rarely an indicator of function.

SO dont worry about it. If the tubes sound ok, they are ok.

And the FJA mod is awesome if you are looking for a little extra icing on an already good tasting cake. Just put in a Dougs Tubes preamp kit and cant believe how good the amp sounds.

Hope that helps!

V1 and V2 use a DC filament supply to reduce hum; this also makes the filaments glow a little brighter than V3-V5.

Why care? If it sounds good, play it til it no longer sounds good. Perhaps a less scientific approach than what you were probably seeking, but hey...it's served many for years.

Back