Trying to ID/Date Code this Transformer

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Theresa

Reaction score
IMG_0123.JPG

By ID'ing I meant manufacturer and date code meaning date of manufacture. Thanks everyone.

Looks to me like the 37th week of 2001.

Theresa, I saw you said the blue caps were all but gone according to Mike. Did you mean new blue caps (BMI) are all but gone? I know they were out of the BMI 30uF for a while- are they not coming back into stock or were you referring to something else?

Looks to me like the 37th week of 2001.

Theresa, I saw you said the blue caps were all but gone according to Mike. Did you mean new blue caps (BMI) are all but gone? I know they were out of the BMI 30uF for a while- are they not coming back into stock or were you referring to something else?
The 220mfd 300V axial. Thanks for the info on date coding.

The 220mfd 300V axial. Thanks for the info on date coding.
You're welcome. And thank you for the 220uF answer.
Was he saying the new ones are all but gone or were you talking about the old original ones that are getting swapped out?
I'm just wondering if the blue BMI caps are going away. I sent some BMI 30uF's to MB for someone on here that was having his IIC+ coli serviced. Mesa was out of them and I have some on hand. I thought it was a temp out thing but now you have me thinking mesa branded e-caps for 30 and 220uF might be a thing of the past.
Has anyone opened a new amp (Badlander/TC/VII) to see what is being used now?

I was asking him about the older 220mfd blue caps. You can't even score OEM ones any longer. F&T are the one that I would trust now, I'd be curious what Boogie is using in production now. Mike did say if I really wanted some, he could possibly scrounge up some that have been pulled out but still good. I was hoping for some new ones to replace some 220mfd IC caps the were installed 20 years ago. The MK III I came upon had a bunch of unnecessary work done and was hoping to restore it to original spec and parts. It was an early black dot with a 105 transformer. It had a lot of good things going for it but a lot of bad as well. Really unfortunate.
IMG_0114.JPG

Bummer. I have some old silver ones used in the early to mid-80's but most are the mallory sonic blue. The branded BMI's were a good aesthetic replacement.

Maybe they are using BMI non-branded now? I've never used F&T but that might be what Mike was going to use in that coli idr.

Bummer. I have some old silver ones used in the early to mid-80's but most are the mallory sonic blue. The branded BMI's were a good aesthetic replacement.

Maybe they are using BMI non-branded now? I've never used F&T but that might be what Mike was going to use in that coli idr.
It looks to me that the 220 mfd 300 V axials are now 350 V on the BMI site. So it does look like there is still production

If you go to the mesa store and go to the 30uF 500V caps there is a shpeal about IC caps. Not that you can order them after checking with them today, just for service even tho it's a odd place to advertise their faith in IC.

I emailed them earlier and the reply seemed a copy of what I read on the 30uF store page followed by:
"Most of the low voltage electrolytic caps we use for replacement, as a prudent service on vintage boogies, are Illinois caps as they have been for many years. We don't have any estimate for if, or when we'd be able to get more BMI."

I added the bold and followed up about the 220's and IC there too it would seem:

"Sounds like it's the same. Our parts store is closed until April 10th for annual inventory, you're welcome to double check with them after that date. But we don't forsee us being able to source sufficient quantities to sell them here. The available range of coming to market continue to shrink. You will need to located those individually at this time."

Most factories and foundries on this side of the iron curtain have caught up and in some cases are reliving year 2000 when inventory shortages turned into glut and crash!!!

But as always you are on your own is the take away.
:)
Anyone got some extra 220 BMI's? I have no problem with IC especially where cost is a concern but I like the blue color. I need to do 3 more coli's with only enough 220's for 1.

One of these days I would like to play a 105 but talking to GJgo about his experiences point out that not all of them are super high V, and I've noticed my III's vary in plate volts so PT's have a fairly significant variance. What plate V's are you getting?

The P180321 is a common PT around this household and it holds its own pretty well.

Latest posts

Back