Traixis advice and version information?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monsta-Tone

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
I'm seriously considering picking up a Triaxis. I have always wanted one, but just never really had the money.

I just got a G-System. I love the FX, but it doesn't really like my DC-5 all that much, even after reading the White Pages and countless hours of tweaking levels.

I'm either going to sell the G or get a Triaxis!

I have a few questions for the gurus here:
1. If I am using a Triaxis with a Mesa power amp (or my DC-5 loop Return), can I get the same dynamics that an amp has?
- I am not that technical of a player and rely on the amp's ability to relay subtle nuances.

2. Which version of the Triaxis should I get? Fat, Non-Fat, Recto, etc.?
- Tones I am looking for are stellar Fender like cleans. Great medium gain bluesy sounds. Crunchy rhythm tones for heavier music (Incubus, Rush, etc.), and searing lead tones with gobs of gain and sustain.
- Note clarity is a must with high gain. My band plays a lot of odd chords with tons of distortion and I want to hear every note. I realize that this is also related to EQ and Gain settings, but some amps and preamps just get muddy, I don't want that.

3. What is the depth of the Triaxis? I have noticed from pictures that it is really deep. I would want to make sure I got a rack that it could fit in.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I did a search of the forum, but there is just way too much to weed through.
I thought about getting a Recto pre because I love Recto tones, but I need more than 2 channels and if I'm going to bite the bullet and build another rack, I want as much flexibility as I can get.

Monsta-Tone said:
I have a few questions for the gurus here:
1. If I am using a Triaxis with a Mesa power amp (or my DC-5 loop Return), can I get the same dynamics that an amp has?
- I am not that technical of a player and rely on the amp's ability to relay subtle nuances.
It will respond like any tube amp. The tonal match is better if you use a Mesa power amp, obviously.

2. Which version of the Triaxis should I get? Fat, Non-Fat, Recto, etc.?
- Tones I am looking for are stellar Fender like cleans. Great medium gain bluesy sounds. Crunchy rhythm tones for heavier music (Incubus, Rush, etc.), and searing lead tones with gobs of gain and sustain.
Any version will cover the bases you mention with a bit of patience and getting-to-know-you time. I personally think the Recto not-fat is the most versatile. Fat mod is a bit mushy for most players. Fat mod isn't a deal breaker though if you get it for the right price. All Triaxis versions are the same except for Lead 1 red. It not a big deal whatever version you get because there are more than enough voices on there.

- Note clarity is a must with high gain. My band plays a lot of odd chords with tons of distortion and I want to hear every note. I realize that this is also related to EQ and Gain settings, but some amps and preamps just get muddy, I don't want that.

It isn't a muddy preamp.

3. What is the depth of the Triaxis? I have noticed from pictures that it is really deep. I would want to make sure I got a rack that it could fit in.
It will fit in any standard rack case. It's deep but not beyond standard dimensions.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I did a search of the forum, but there is just way too much to weed through.
I thought about getting a Recto pre because I love Recto tones, but I need more than 2 channels and if I'm going to bite the bullet and build another rack, I want as much flexibility as I can get.

The Triaxis is nothing if not flexible. You should still try to play one before you buy though because these things are subjective.

A Triaxis, G-System, and 2:90 power amp is probably the most versatile rig in the known universe. My old Triaxis/2:90 rig fit in standard SKB rack cases.

The Triaxis, 2:90, G System has been my live rig for quite some time and it is perfect. Prior to the 2:90 i had a Randall RT2/50 and it sounded pretty good too. So any good tube power amp will really compliment the triaxis but if you can find a 2:90, get it.

As for your questions i tend to agree with ando.

Peace,
Joshua

Man these things are hard to find!!!!

I've been looking around for stuff to sell so I can get one.

Any advice about using the G-System with the Tri?
I would most likely use a 20/20 with it also.

I know that the 2:90 is the obvious choice, but I simply don't want to have 200 watts of power at my disposal.
For one, I can't afford to retube it.
For two, there is no place on Maui that I could unleash it. It would be like living 10 miles down a dirt road and only having a Ferrari to drive......

I'd say get version 2.0 for the MIDI capability (CC). I thought I'd never use CC but now that I have a solo or two in our set that CC is a LIFESAVER - provided you have a MIDI board with an expression pedal or an expression pedal, that is (I'm sure you can hook one up the G-System no prob).

In terms of sound, I think no-fat version 2 is the best. I admit I haven't tried any other version yet, but IMO that no-fat Lead 1 Red tone is hard to beat by anything - it's a whole new flavor to add to all the great Mark tones, and it sounds great when you let it breathe a little, aggressive and full, bottom end is illegally huge... Monstrous, to say the least.

Monsta-Tone said:
Man these things are hard to find!!!!

I've been looking around for stuff to sell so I can get one.

Any advice about using the G-System with the Tri?
I would most likely use a 20/20 with it also.

I know that the 2:90 is the obvious choice, but I simply don't want to have 200 watts of power at my disposal.
For one, I can't afford to retube it.
For two, there is no place on Maui that I could unleash it. It would be like living 10 miles down a dirt road and only having a Ferrari to drive......

I use mine on half drive most of the time. Even in a live setting i have yet to play a room that needed or could hold 180 watts of power. The nice thing about the TA / 2:90 combo is that it retains a good tone at low volumes. The 20/20 is also awesome. I've though about getting one since 40 watts would be plenty for any gig i'll ever do. As for using the TA with the G system it works like butter. I hooked mine up using the 4 cable method (well 5 actually) and it needed no adjusting to get a great tone. Super easy.

Peace,
Joshua

Triaxis depth is 14.3 inches you'll need to remember your still plugging cables into the back of that.
I would look for what is commonly called a amplifier rack with a 18" depth.
Shockmount racks are great but they get huge real quick. For the Triaxis I would forgo the shockmount rack and also resist the urge to add a bunch of other rack junk and aim for a smaller stream lined rack that's only four spaces. You can fit a Triaxis 2:90 and a FX unit in a four space rack. I moved the rear feet on my road ready case forward so it will fit on top of a mesa straight 4x12 (mine is a straight cab with a recessed slant on the top speakers but the top is still full depth) most of the weight is in the front so your not really compromising anything. Now you have a compact versatile rack that will sit on top a stereo 4x12 and will basically function like a head and you'll have easy access to the controls for tweaking.
This triaxis 2:90 fx and case would weigh roughly 85Lbs.

Something like this
http://store.roadreadycases.com/dyn_prod.php?p=RR4UAD&k=154269

Bumping a really old thread I know, but it might be useful for some to know that the Road Ready effects rack, (as opposed to the amp rack) rack JUST fits a Triaxis, and if I use right angle connectors I can leave it plugged into the power amp. Just saves that extra few inches of bulk.

Latest posts

Back