Traded a LSC head and 2x12 for an Express 5:50 1x12

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vermillion

Reaction score
Hi folks, first time posting :D

I'm not usually one to downgrade my stuff but I don't play out much anymore and wanted a fun amp that would be apartment friendly. I know in terms of dollars I may have lost out a bit but I'm really happy with the Express 5:50 combo, it sounds nice at 5 watts and is more inline with my playing needs. I ordered the LSC head and Cab when the LS first came out, I waited for months. I had almost 3 good years of playing through it. I do regret not trying it with el34s, I heard its like a whole new amp. While I was waiting for the LSC to be built, Mesa announced the LSS -- I probably would have bought the LSS if I had a choice at the time of submitting my order. Nonetheless, it was a great sounding and reliable amp.

I think that the new LS design (5:50:100 switchable) might end up making the LSC (50:100) worth a bit less money when it is in full production. Maybe I'm just paranoid.

I have a few questions for express owners:

1) Does it seem to you that Ch 1 Crunch and Ch 2 Blues have the exact same voicing?

2) Do you think the channels are voiced the same but have different levels of gain? (Think Express Ch1 is similar to LS Ch 2 being able to be clean or drive)

3) I'd like to get even less wattage, have you tried using THD yellow jackets in this amp yet? Thoughts?

4) I like the sound and feel of Celestion blue alnicos, I almost got an AC30CC2x -- Celestion has a new 12" alnico speaker called the Alnico Gold and it supposedly has a Alnico Blue soud. It is capable of handling 50 watts. It's roughly $300. Have you tried it?

cheers

I understand -- it was a tough decision for me too. For me, it came down to a matter of wanting a smaller amp, wanting a more versatile amp, wanting less clutter in my place, and as a bonus: getting a brand new amp.

Hi Vermillion,

I'll chime in here being a very happy Express 5:50 1x12 owner!

1) Does it seem to you that Ch 1 Crunch and Ch 2 Blues have the exact same voicing?

>Not exact to my ears, but close. Blues mode seems to have more highs that cut through even with the Treble reduced. I tried to make Blues mode sound like Crunch to use it as another rhythm sound and I can't get rid of that high end that differentiates it. I only use humbuckers with mine, so that might have something to do with it.

2) Do you think the channels are voiced the same but have different levels of gain? (Think Express Ch1 is similar to LS Ch 2 being able to be clean or drive)

>Following from above, I'd say the level of gain is the same, but the voicing is slightly different (Blues is voiced for leads with boosted highs, Crunch for rhythm with a thicker more wall-of-sound voice).

3) I'd like to get even less wattage, have you tried using THD yellow jackets in this amp yet? Thoughts?

>No, I haven't tried it but now you've piqued my interest!

4) I like the sound and feel of Celestion blue alnicos, I almost got an AC30CC2x -- Celestion has a new 12" alnico speaker called the Alnico Gold and it supposedly has a Alnico Blue soud. It is capable of handling 50 watts. It's roughly $300. Have you tried it?

>No, I haven't tried it. I really like the C90, it has the right frequency response for my taste.

I hope you enjoy the amp, I'm very happy with mine. Thanks Mesa!

Cheers,

Richt

Back