Took me a while,, But found what I wanted

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

recto-robbie

Reaction score
Hello All, Ive owned a rectoverb series 2 for a while now and although I thought it was a very nice solid amp,, there were a couple things about the sound that never really suited me just right. The main thing was I kept finding that I didnt need all that gain. For my style, I found the best settings for lead work and tone were in the Raw mode or Vintage mode with the gain below 12:00. Otherwise with the gain higher I found it a little flabby sounding,, the lower the gain,, the better, more tight sounding it was. I found that I really never used the modern mode and in the Vintage mode with gain at or above 12:00 I found it a bit useless to me trying to get those sweet sounding leads. So needless to say, what the amp really shined at,, I wasnt using at all.

I wound up selling my ROV and 2x12 recto cab. I spent the last two weeks trying to take my time looking around for a new amp. I must admit right now, I even joined a Marshall forum because I never really tried any and thought there must be a reason so many pros now and in the past are using them. I tried a few and I admit I liked the sound of them. I actually wound up buying a brand new Marshall JVM 410H head.
I spent a few days with it and realized that there was just way too many knobs and functions it offered to get another slightly different shade of the Marshall tone. I will say right now that the biggest issue I had with the Marshalls I tried is, I could actually see the day when the amp would break down on me. The Marshall sound is a great one, and I will never truelly talk bad of them because I am mostly ignorant about them but from what I can tell,, there is no way in hell, the currently produced Marshalls could compete with a boogie in the reliability department.
Honestly the boogies just felt miles ahead of the Marshalls I tried in construction and the feeling of being reliable and just a much more proffesional feeling about them.

I returned the JVM and continued the search,, and my luck seemed to come out in spades for once because believe it or not I ran into a used,
in close to mint condition Bogner Uberschall 4x12 cab with the X pattern Celestions, which I was able to talk the sales rep down to a mere $650.. Unbelievable is all I can say.

Then I finally found and was able to try the Stiletto series. I was now able to compare Mesas line of amps that somewhat compete with the Marshalls.
WoW, is all I can say. These amps are incredible. Although they sound similar to a Marshall,, they are different. I am not looking for that honest to goodness Marshall sound. I was looking for something with a lot of gain but not total all out brutal rectifier gain. Im tired of that.
I was looking for an amp that felt tight,, less flab and great for lead work.
I thought seriously about the Mark4 but all those knobs is just way too much of an overkill for me. I came to a conclusion that if an amp cant give me at least one sound that I loved in the first 15 minutes or so,,, it wasnt for me. Sorry.
What I found was the Stiletto line which offered me numerous great tones easily dialed in, in minutes.
I seriously thought about the ACE but I found the Duece Stage II to be more to my liking. I finally brought my Duece home just last night and I can honestly say that for the couple hours I got to mess with it a low volumes I was able to get many great sounds out of it. I didnt even hook up my pedal board at all. I was very happy playing just guitar, cord and amp. There wasnt even any reverb. I am totally impressed with how quiet this amp is at high gain levels,, unlike the JVM which was unusable in OD1 or OD2 with the gain anything over 12:00 even with my NS-2 maxed. And any of you that wonder if this amp has gain or not,,, more than enough for me,, I would say the max gain you get out of one of these is comparable to a rectifier in vintage mode with gain around
12:00 or 1:00. Only it still feels nice and tight.

Needless to say I feel very happy and confident I made a good decision on this amp, and couldnt help myself from typing all this out to share my experiance with you guys. I really did think for a while, that the day was near, that I wouldnt be a member of this board any longer. I almost feel a bit ashamed of doubting Mesa Boogie and looking elswhere, LOL !!!!!!
But in the end, mesa came through in spades and luckily for me I tried an amp line I never gave any consideration to. God im so glad I kept looking after I bought that JVM.
Now you guys have to put up with me even longer!!!!!!!
THANKS...

Congrats :D

I have never had the change to try one out, but maybe I will this weekend when I am visiting my "local" (over a 100miles away ) Mesa dealer. :lol:

Glad you like it!

My stiletto comes in this week :) I know it will compliment my recto's perfectly. I wil probaly end up selling my XTC.

recto-robbie said:
Hello All, Ive owned a rectoverb series 2 for a while now and although I thought it was a very nice solid amp,, there were a couple things about the sound that never really suited me just right. The main thing was I kept finding that I didnt need all that gain. For my style, I found the best settings for lead work and tone were in the Raw mode or Vintage mode with the gain below 12:00. Otherwise with the gain higher I found it a little flabby sounding,, the lower the gain,, the better, more tight sounding it was. I found that I really never used the modern mode and in the Vintage mode with gain at or above 12:00 I found it a bit useless to me trying to get those sweet sounding leads. So needless to say, what the amp really shined at,, I wasnt using at all.

I wound up selling my ROV and 2x12 recto cab. I spent the last two weeks trying to take my time looking around for a new amp. I must admit right now, I even joined a Marshall forum because I never really tried any and thought there must be a reason so many pros now and in the past are using them. I tried a few and I admit I liked the sound of them. I actually wound up buying a brand new Marshall JVM 410H head.
I spent a few days with it and realized that there was just way too many knobs and functions it offered to get another slightly different shade of the Marshall tone. I will say right now that the biggest issue I had with the Marshalls I tried is, I could actually see the day when the amp would break down on me. The Marshall sound is a great one, and I will never truelly talk bad of them because I am mostly ignorant about them but from what I can tell,, there is no way in hell, the currently produced Marshalls could compete with a boogie in the reliability department.
Honestly the boogies just felt miles ahead of the Marshalls I tried in construction and the feeling of being reliable and just a much more proffesional feeling about them.

I returned the JVM and continued the search,, and my luck seemed to come out in spades for once because believe it or not I ran into a used,
in close to mint condition Bogner Uberschall 4x12 cab with the X pattern Celestions, which I was able to talk the sales rep down to a mere $650.. Unbelievable is all I can say.

Then I finally found and was able to try the Stiletto series. I was now able to compare Mesas line of amps that somewhat compete with the Marshalls.
WoW, is all I can say. These amps are incredible. Although they sound similar to a Marshall,, they are different. I am not looking for that honest to goodness Marshall sound. I was looking for something with a lot of gain but not total all out brutal rectifier gain. Im tired of that.
I was looking for an amp that felt tight,, less flab and great for lead work.
I thought seriously about the Mark4 but all those knobs is just way too much of an overkill for me. I came to a conclusion that if an amp cant give me at least one sound that I loved in the first 15 minutes or so,,, it wasnt for me. Sorry.
What I found was the Stiletto line which offered me numerous great tones easily dialed in, in minutes.
I seriously thought about the ACE but I found the Duece Stage II to be more to my liking. I finally brought my Duece home just last night and I can honestly say that for the couple hours I got to mess with it a low volumes I was able to get many great sounds out of it. I didnt even hook up my pedal board at all. I was very happy playing just guitar, cord and amp. There wasnt even any reverb. I am totally impressed with how quiet this amp is at high gain levels,, unlike the JVM which was unusable in OD1 or OD2 with the gain anything over 12:00 even with my NS-2 maxed. And any of you that wonder if this amp has gain or not,,, more than enough for me,, I would say the max gain you get out of one of these is comparable to a rectifier in vintage mode with gain around
12:00 or 1:00. Only it still feels nice and tight.

Needless to say I feel very happy and confident I made a good decision on this amp, and couldnt help myself from typing all this out to share my experiance with you guys. I really did think for a while, that the day was near, that I wouldnt be a member of this board any longer. I almost feel a bit ashamed of doubting Mesa Boogie and looking elswhere, LOL !!!!!!
But in the end, mesa came through in spades and luckily for me I tried an amp line I never gave any consideration to. God im so glad I kept looking after I bought that JVM.
Now you guys have to put up with me even longer!!!!!!!
THANKS...

Right on brother its a good thing you experimented and let your ears and first hand experience finalize your decision. I found your post to be very helpful and a pleasure to read :) I hear ya about the Marshall thing there's somethin that rubs me wrong in the stability department.Posts like yours really are what this forum is about. Welcome back :twisted:

CONGRATS on the new amp.i have the same amp and i love it to death! i would like to try it with a 4 12 cabinet,im using a 2 12 Avatar.

that post makes me want to just throw down the mastercard and get one to go with my roadster...... also i found my experience with the jvm to be very similar to yours.... was going between the jvm and the roadster.... never was much of a marshall fan but the midi system is what drew me to it.... the two things i hated were 1) the quality of the amp.... i felt like buttons would break right through the faceplate if i pushed too hard..... in terms of quaility and reliability mesa is light years above marshall and a lot of other companies.... 2) their marketing scheme is very deceptive.... they say 4 channels with 3 modes on each making 12 types of gain stacking.... not even close.... channels 3 and 4 had no real difference... atleast with my roadster you can hear the difference right away.... nothing seems to act any different even within the modes on the jvm.... if i go from raw to vintage to modern on my high gain channels i have 3 different tones..... the only the the amp had over the roadster was the midi system which would be awesome on a roadster so i didnt have to buy the amp gizmo..... now if mesa wants to come over the top they shoiuld do a midi system like engl which will save the mode, eqs and the channel like the triaxis except its all in one amp head

Back