Tonemaster tubes

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bloozman

Reaction score
I just purchased a fender tonemaster and took it in to be serviced...When I picked it up, the tech told me he had to replace the power tubes, and did so with a new set of Groove tubes...Are Groove tubes the standard fender tube, and if not, are stock fender tubes a better bet when replacing power tubes?...also. can I replace the power tubes myself (for future reference), or is that something best left done by a tech?...Thanks in advance for all replies

My Prosonic came from the factory with GT's. I still have them after changing them out for JJ's.

They lasted for a long time but were harsh.

I tend to agree that GT's tend to not be as sweet when they distort as JJ's to my ears..

As far as changing them yourself, it's extremely easy.. don't be afraid to try it yourself.. if you can plug in an amp into a wall you can change a tube.

I gotta say, I put GT6L6GE's in my Mark III, and think, in a fender amp, would be perfect... I can only imagine how they would sound in a Twin Reverb, and revved up...
Pricey, but I got mine for $100 new...Usually $169...So I bought 'em.
I like 'em, think they're smooth, not focused bottom, but very wide...
I'd say a purr-fect match for a Fender breakup....Works well for me in my blues/classic rock/jam band....
ax. 8)

Do not change power tubes without at least checking that the new tubes are biased within the safe range.The bias should be adjusted to get the best performance.You cannot just plug them in and go.It is very rare to have 2 sets of tubes draw the same current unless they came from a matched quad.

I had the good fortuen of having the guys at GT go through my 67' bandmaster and bring it back form the brink of death. They put the new 6l6GE's in it and I love it. I've used GT's for years now in my other amps and actually have a set of GTEL34's in the outer sockets of my MKIV.

Just my .02
Scott

Back