To switch or not to switch...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoulIncision

Reaction score
Hello all, first time poster here. I am contemplating swtiching my triple rec. for a Stiletto Trident. Reason being I like the look of the Trident (trivial I know, and least important of my inquiry), and I like the 50/150 wattage switch.

I love the Recto distortion but like most, am not crazy about the clean tone. The Trident's clean tone is said to be better, and my trials of it have supported that (correct me if I'm wrong).

How close is the Trident distortion to the Recto distortion and how insane am I for even asking these questions?

Imho two totally different amps. You *might* want to look into an F-series amp.. although they aren't available in 150 watt versions but DO have a killer clean tone w/ recto-ish gain on channel 2.

Or you could go with two amps.. one for clean and one for distortion.

*DOPEMAN* said:
Imho two totally different amps. You *might* want to look into an F-series amp.. although they aren't available in 150 watt versions but DO have a killer clean tone w/ recto-ish gain on channel 2.

Or you could go with two amps.. one for clean and one for distortion.

Well I like the high gain distortion, I'm mostly a metal player, lots of chugging /galloping rhythms. I'm just wondering how the high gain of a Stilleto compares to the Recto. Or if I should just keep my Recto, and improve my FX rack.

And the two amp thing, not an option for me. If I opt for a Stilleto I'm selling the Recto. I just don't have the $$$.

Well I like the high gain distortion, I'm mostly a metal player, lots of chugging /galloping rhythms.

I would go with a mark iv if this is what you are after.

do some searches for stilleto and what not in case not everyone with experience chimes in...

From what I've gathered though, the Stilleto can cover Marshall territory and do some hot-rodded Marshall sounds. In other words, a Marshall with lots of gain.

A recto is a recto (is not a Marshall, lol).

It depends on what sound you like more, the marshall or mesa.
Look into other mesa amps as well, namely the Mark4. Lots of gain, superb cleans.

hazbin said:
Well I like the high gain distortion, I'm mostly a metal player, lots of chugging /galloping rhythms.

I would go with a mark iv if this is what you are after.

What about a Triaxis?

Get a roadster. The cleans are KILLER! KILLER!

And channel 3 and 4 give you the 'Recto' tone! Chugga chug.... If you're into that sort of thing :twisted:

Or better yet. Take your guitar down to your local store and play some amps. What sounds good to you, not nessasarily the people on this board is the right amp for you.

Just make sure it's a mesa! Grrrrr!

Sounds like you want a Mark IV to me. But a Mark is not a Rec. It will never get that deep and loose. The Mark is certainly tighter than a Stiletto too. Your best bet is to go test driving with your guitar. Be sure you try everything before you decide though and A/B where you can.

Latest posts

Back