To properly turn off my Dual I...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichiganboySB

Reaction score
Turn off my standby, wait a couple seconds then turn off the master switch? Such a basic quesion I feel embarrassed but don't want to start a bad habit. I ask because I saw mention how when turning off your tube amp you should "always" switch off the main switch bypassing switching off the standby switch.
thx,
Ken

I let my amp warm up in standby for a minute when I turn it on and I let it cool another minute in standby before turning it off.

switching the main off may help to dissipate current trapped in the caps. I dont think it really matters how you turn your amp off, because it is not like turning them on at all.

The reason for the warm up is to excite electrons in the vacuum tube so that there is an adequate amound "flying" around the tube so that it doesnt damage any of the coatings or put a huge strain on the amp when you flip the standby off.

There is no such drain when you turn it off, the only thing might be attempting to drain the "flying" electrons from the tube, but by leaving the amp on stand by, with the heaters on, exciting electrons, this completely negates this act.

The only cool down method you should use, is to let your tubes cool down almost completely before moving your amp. Because of the high heat in the tube, and how fragile the components are, they become more fragile and flexible when they are hot, so moving or bumping them can increase the chances of shorting a tube or blowing the filament

In short, it doesn't REALLY matter how you turn your amp off, as long as it's cool before you move it. If you're really going to get picky about it, shut the mains off first until the sound dies off(then you know voltage has been drained from the amp), and then flip the standby.

Latest posts

Back