"Timmons" type tone in a band situation??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

messaboog1e

Reaction score
I get a relatively close Timmons tone playing at the house...solo...no band. But when on stage, the guitar sound is washed away and I have to dial the gain and drive back to about 12'oclock for it to cut. Still sounds good, but it's not the sound I had at home. Any suggestions on how to keep that same tone live? I play with another acoustic guitarist, bass, and drummer.

I was also re-reading about Reeder Mod #1 and wonder if that will help it cut through better in general. I welcome all thoughts. Thanks :!:

Thats the problem with those tones...Sure they sound great in your house by yourself, but when onstage, its just all washy and thin...

Ive learned, to try to play the amp for what it does, and keep the main tone to be audible, clear and defined...Now some solo's, some intro's and outro's live I use effects but that is what makes the difference between a great guitar player and a great musician imo. Knowing when and why.

Not just being able to play something, but to know when it fits in a band situation, and to be able to hear the BANDS sound over what your guitar sounds like...

Why can't you dial in tones when you rehearse with the band?
Write down these settings, so when you change everything around at home, you can at least compare them.

I've had this problem in the past...

If you try and dial in a tone as thick and punchy as Andy's without a bass player and kick drum, when they get introduced into the mix your tone will completely disappear.
Which is why you have to do what Andy does and EQ with a band, it's not all that difficult, you just have to think of the rest of your band as an extra EQ pedal that fattens up your sound a LOT.

I find that if you use less gain (I put the gain and drive at about 1 oclock with a band, and 3 without) and bump up the presence and master enough to add enough top end bite to sit well with the lower frequencies of a band. I tend to keep the rest of my EQ about the same as I do at home, but sometimes flip from thickest to normal. I can get a pretty authentic Andy tone and still slice through the mix with ease.

Thanks everyone. I re-did Reeder mod #1 today (being home sick has it's benefits). It definitely cuts more now. I don't rehearse with my band as we're a cover band and just do it for fun. If I had more time with it, I'm sure I could EQ much better. I'm hoping the mod will help my cause. Thanks for the feedback! :D

I've had that problem too. Whenever you get a real buttery-smooth lead tone, it usually needs some high mids/highs added to cut with a band. It can sound harsh in the bedroom, but with a band it falls right in the mix where it should.

Yeah, Mesas (especially the driven tones) usually have to be EQed in context. I usually have to crank or cut something or other depending on the room and the band. It can be aggravating if you keep being surprised by it... but once you factor it in, it makes sense and it's easier to appreciate what you get in return (i.e., a rich, fat Boogie lead tone).

I find I have the opposite problem, actually: when I'm with my bands, I'm amazed at how easy it is for me to dial in something that sounds totally badass (probably because of the volume, in context). It's when I'm home, trying to keep things down, that I find I have to compromise.

Latest posts

Back