Thiele cab question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seanboy

Reaction score
What's the difference in a thiele cab and a closed back extension cab? Is one better than the other?

Usually, with an open back cab, some of the the rear radiation cancels out some front radiated frequencies.

A Thiele Cab has a port, essentially a phase-tuned hole, which allows the sound radiation from the rear of the speaker cone to reinforce the sound from the front. This results in a stronger bass response. And it's the size of the port, its placement, and the inside volume of the cab which all play a part.

A completely enclosed cab, like a Marshall 4 x 12, does much the same thing, but is a good deal less efficient.

"Thiele" is Albert Neville Thiele, an Aussie science guy who, along with a guy named Small, came up with a bunch of math to help design speaker cabs that would be more efficient than just a simple box.

I have the opportunity to purchase a thiele cab with the EVM 12L for $225, or I could purchase an open back cab, the open back cab is a crate brand cab with also a EVM 12L. This one is $75. Would it be worth spending the extra for the thiele?

Seanboy said:
I have the opportunity to purchase a thiele cab with the EVM 12L for $225, or I could purchase an open back cab, the open back cab is a crate brand cab with also a EVM 12L. This one is $75. Would it be worth spending the extra for the thiele?
Yes. The Mesa is solid wood. The Crate is probably MDF (medium-density fibreboard). Heck, get both.

EVM 12L speakers usually sell for $125-$150 by themsleves, so both of those cabs are good deals.

Back