"The Travel Song" (Mark 2B)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonzo

Reaction score
"The Travel Song"

http://soundcloud.com/bats-brew/travel-song-09-12-10

or available as a download:
https://www.yousendit.com/dl?phi_action=app/orchestrateDownload&rurl=http%253A%252F%252Fwww.yousendit.com%252Ftransfer.php%253Faction%253Dbatch_download%2526batch_id%253DUFVybUpTOC9qY3BjR0E9PQ

this one might be renamed "Journey to Everywhere"

The guitars were done with a Carvin DC200K, thru my Mark2b (60w/GEQ/head-avatar cab)

ok, i have 2 different versions of this song.
the second one, i'll post tomorrow....

the differences between them?
this one, is more stripped down, less guitar parts, more raw sounding.
there's one main guitar on the left, lead vox is centered, and most of the backing vox are thrown slightly to the right, to offset the rhythm guitars.

on a few sections, i bring in a 2nd rhythm on the right.
almost no solo guitar work in this one, it's pretty much just a one guitar kind of thing.

the second version, is more produced, 4 rhythm guitar parts, a bunch of solo stuff, a bunch of active panning.

i guess i'm most concerned with bass and drums, and how they sit with everything.
thanks in advance for listening.

i guess a 7-day bump is in order.

lots of listens, no replies, this one must have B.O.
:mrgreen:

another 10 day bump.

or is it eleven?

i guess it depends on whether you start on the day of, or the day after......
sometimes these things confuse me.

on another note:
i noticed last night, that i couldn't get my 2nd hand Seagull Mosiac to stay in tune..
no matter what i did.

i have an Earvana compensated nut, lying around....
i was going to use it on my custom 24" scale length strat hybrid, but never did.

it actually stays in almost perfect tune anyways.

but this mosiac, i just can't figure it out....
no matter what method of tuning, i can't get it to be in tune even in open tunings....

so, i'm thinking.....

gonna put the earvan on it, see what it does.

the earvanas really work, i've used them on other guitars.
but the thing is, you've got to match the nut widths, and this one happens to fit the nut on the Seagull.

i bought the seagull 2nd hand, as my 'beater' guitar.
i've got a nice taylor, that i only use for recording....
i wanted something that i could use for casual playing, and not worry about dinging it up.

Did you use any OD on your IIB? I love the rock tone man! I was just discussing with my friend how there aren't as many really good rock and roll bands these days as metal, pop and rap. I like the feel of the song, very upbeat.

I also love the singers voice...you?

I listened to the first soundcloud link, btw. The EQ on the mixdown was great, could use a little more volume on the master, thats it.

hey sonic!

thanks for chiming in, and breaking the ice on this one....

did i use a OD?

yes.
on the main rhythm track, it is a Barber Direct Drive Super Sport, driving an already crunchy lead channel setting.

it wasn't 'concert' volume, but very loud in the room, loud enough to get feedback off of the sustained power chords.

yes, this is me singing.
i sang for a long time, before i ever picked up the guitar, so it really was my first calling.

as far as 'getting it loud', all i can say is, crank that volume knob up!!!

LOL

i'd rather have more dynamic headroom, and less ear fatigue, than driving the volume with pure limiting.

i really think that is a bad way to go. i wished the madness would stop.
but as it is, i kind of ride-the-fence between what sounds good to my ears, and what is expected these days as 'industry standard'.

a pro master'er, could definitely get more volume out of the file than i can....
but as it is, i'm not worried about another db of volume.

You did a better job than we did! We tried to preserve all the dynamics without limiting and brickwall compression (btw, we just got our 2 new songs up! check em and give me some feedback, any is good!!)

I do really like the song. All the tones and mixdown is really good. I think winning a battle of dynamics and turning up to get better dynamics is better than keeping the volume low and getting blasted with no dynamic in the kick, snare and bass. I can hear everything in your recording very clearly.

Latest posts

Back