The Mark 4 extreme setting?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianf

Reaction score
In some of the adverts for the Mark 5 they talk about it having the Mark 4's "Ever popular Extreme" setting. I just went through my Mark 4 owners manual and there is no extreme example shown in the sample settings area.

Is this just a general term they use for the Mark 4 dimed? I'm curious to explore this setting on the Mark 4.

Many thanks

brianf

In one of the video clips, I think it was Tien L. saying that the Extreme setting is the mark IV Lead tone with the presence pushed in.

Mark Fore said:
In one of the video clips, I think it was Tien L. saying that the Extreme setting is the mark IV Lead tone with the presence pushed in.

Yep, that's right as far as I've heard. Mark IV presence pushed and turned up a bit. It should get you the LoG tones in that case.

For me, and I've always had the presence pushed in since the dawn of time on my Mark IV, it has a TON more low end. Pulling the presence knob out cuts the meat in half and is more harsh to me. But, I never turn the presence up to 10 either. That might be causing the "harsh" factor.

Mark Fore said:
For me, and I've always had the presence pushed in since the dawn of time on my Mark IV, it has a TON more low end. Pulling the presence knob out cuts the meat in half and is more harsh to me. But, I never turn the presence up to 10 either. That might be causing the "harsh" factor.

It depends on the cab you use the IV on. I played my IV on an old metal Grill 2x12 and i could not use it with the presence pushed in. it sounded like crap, way too harsh and just shrill sounding. Pulled out it was warmer and fatter sounding.

But on a Marshall 4x12, i liked it better pushed in.

Yo danyeo1,

Now I'm intrigued because when I purchased my first Mark IV in '90 I used it with a metal grill 2x12 and that was when I discovered that the presence pushed in sounded waaaaay meatier. From what you described, it sounds the opposite. Out of curiosity, what do you have your presence knob set at?

Granted, I've always used Mesa cabs, but with the metal grill 2x12, recto 4x12, recto 2x12, recto 1x12, and 1x18... to me, it always sounds brutally heavier with it pushed in.

Not a huge deal, but it makes me wonder.

Aart said:
Mark Fore said:

Yep, that's right as far as I've heard. Mark IV presence pushed and turned up a bit. It should get you the LoG tones in that case.
im pretty sure LoG pulls their Presence, with the Presence on 10. to me, that just seems crazy....

lately I've been experimenting with running Class A and Presence around 6 or 7, pulled, and I even recorded a demo this way (though im not sure about the presence setting on the demo).

Latest posts

Back