the BEST tubes for Mark IV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryan_kilco

Reaction score
Ok, guys, I've been researching and am getting ready to retube the Mark IV again. Last time I went with the GT6L6s ..I think the equivelant to EC88s or something like that, it said on the package?

anyway, I was browsing Eurotubes.

I am thinking about trying the High Gain kit, with the ECC83's. Guy says they have 10% more gain than the standard 6L6 setup, "which adds a bit of bite and a sharper dynamic but does not hurt the clean tone. The other attribute that these tubes have is a faster filament rise time which is great for an EVH, Malmsteen, Petrucci or Satriani type style and is also good for fast palm mute and metal styles."

I do play mainly metal, but can any of you varify or give me some advice.....?

any help is greaty appreciated.

I like Mesa STR454's inner and Mesa STR450's outer. Preamp tubes I have a mix of NOS Syvania, RCA and EI's. Dougstubes preamp cocktail he sells sounded good to me as well.

have you ever tried the ECC83 quad like I mentioned?

I do believe these are all JJ tubes he sells?

Ive never totally experimented before, only bought a matched quad of GT 6L6s and 5 Sovtek pre's in a bind the summer before last.

I used the High Gain Kit from Bob and it gave my Lonestar Classic lots more dirt than the stock pre-tubes. I tried them in my dual and it seemed to be almost too much gain, but it did warm up the amp and take the "Fizz" off the top end. Try just ordering one for V1 and see if you like it.

i like those short body TAD 6l6's alot in the mark IV.
tesla ecc83 (not jj) in v1,2, and 3 are the best IMO.

You don't need the hi gain kit from bob! You Do Want his 6L6's There REALLY good.. I find the JJ's get eaten up in my mk IV so i Have Mainly NOS in there (RCA SYLANA So on)

If I were playing a MkIV and wanted a quality (current manufactured) re-tube kit, I would call Doug for his MESA preamp tube cocktail and some SED Winged =C= power tubes (4 6L6, or 2 6L6, 2 EL34) rated for the Simulclass Boogie. :D

never bought from doug (don't bash me please), though his prices are very reasonable. i've gotten stuff from tubedepot.com and i found them to be very reasonable. you can order special extra tests like +$2 for "high gain" option on preamp tubes, or specify the actual bias current you'd like. you can tell them to select and/or match tubes for xyz type of amp.

i've bought eh 12ax7's as the economic option, but for very little more you can get tung-sol reissues and add the low-noise/microphonics test for $4 more. very worth it especially since these are very fresh sounding, comparable to nos, but without the price tag. i'm going buy them all the time, everytime from now on. i know sometimes thetubestore.com also puts them on sale (like right now, apparently) for only $12.95/ea, but they don't provide options for low-noise tests, etc. beyond matched/balanced triodes.

and +1 about the jj 6l6's. very good, round, warm, well-balance sound. i put them in a road king v1 combo (which i have since sold to pay for car maintenance) and it was definitely a huge improvement in presence and clarity from the mesa ones that were in there (i don't remember if they were str 440s or not). i intend to buy them again for a mark iic just arrived the other day off ebay, as well as a widebody mark iv combo i'm going to buy from a guy in dec, depending on whether he's recently changed them.

i would think that the kt77 options from dougtubes would be a good idea also, if you're openminded :), though i haven't tried them myself. anybody have experience with those?

anyhow, i think for now i'll probably just stick to the tung-sol el34b's (also found them on tubedepot.com for sale) for the simulclass. i highly recommend those if you're looking for an el-34 sound, but aren't willing to commit to an overwhelmingly midrangy, shrill brit tone. it's got a 6l6 warmth to it and is very clear, though it can be a little darker (not muddy!!!). also take a look at this http://thetubestore.com/accessories.html for ideas and comparison notes on tubes.

yeap there the one's.. Sound GREAT!.. really rate them.too me they come 2nd to the str 415 ( which i have 4 pairs of!)

Yeah great tubes

I like a quad of Mesa STR425's which are Russian 5881 tubes. As far as the preamp tubes I am back to using Mesa's Russian 12AX7's. I have had great luck with them.

Shep said:
yeap there the one's.. Sound GREAT!.. really rate them.too me they come 2nd to the str 415 ( which i have 4 pairs of!)

Yeah great tubes

ok thx ... so which preamp tubes do u recommand ?

Latest posts

Back